On the road to: Minneapolis

Minnesota. The Twin Cities. Home of the lovable Twins, who somehow made the playoffs again despite their low payroll. Home of a big mall, Bruegger’s bagels, and Brad Childress (whoops, not a fan of that “B?”). But what exactly is there to do in Minnesota? Here’s a few ideas if you’re making the trip to the H.H.H. (not the wrestler) Metrodome Saturday.

DIRECTIONS:

From the Arch, take Chicago Avenue south to Dempster Street. Go right on Dempster to I-294 South. You’re not on I-294 for long so be ready. Once you get to O’Hare International Airport, start heading west on I-90 towards Rockford. Keep going on I-90 West, which will join with I-94 West around Madison, Wis. It’s Halloween weekend, so be sure to stop there on your way there or back to capture all the magic of the trick or treat festivities. Stay on I-94 West all the way into Minneapolis. Once you reach the city limits, take the Fifth Street exit, 234B. Continue on Fifth Street south for one third of a mile. The Dome is on your right.

THE STADIUM

Name: Hubert H. HumphreyMetrodomeCapacity: 64,172Built: 1982Surface: FieldTurfTickets: Available, $45 per ticket

FAST FACT: The inflatable roof is supported by 20 fans, each running at 90 horsepower.

TAILGATING

Come on. People in Minnesota don’t tailgate. Every now and then a little party might happen on campus. But you won’t find too many parking lot parties going on before the game because the stadium is about two miles from campus. Students and visitors will have to wait until next season when the new TCF Bank Stadium opens to experience a true cold-weather tailgating adventure. Until then, unless your car is big enough for an indoor grill, be prepared to shift inside to chow down on the Dome Dogs and Famous Dave’s barbecue.

THE CROWD

The Metrodome has always been known as one of the loudest buildings around, making it tough for any of the Gophers’ opponents to hear themselves think. With a 7-1 team on the field, expect that noise to be at its peak. The student section is average, but with the 2008 turnaround, expect alumni and boosters to be out in full force for the U of M’s Homecoming. The Gophers are the third team in 2008 to schedule Northwestern for its Homecoming game, joining Indiana and Iowa.

BEST OF MINNEAPOLIS

If you’re seeking something to do either before or after the game, keep these places in mind:Best Dive Bar: Burrito Loco. If you can’t decide between cheap beer or Mexican food, this is your place. Saturdays are home to buckets of wings with a purchase of a pitcher of beer. Plus, the burritos make Chipotle look like Taco John’s.

CAMPUS LANDMARK: Pillsbury Building. Built in 1889, this building embodies Minnesota’s mix of geography and people by incorporating various styles of architecture. If you like the Doughboy, you will like this building.