Women’s Soccer: Postseason position not quite secure

Most seasons are decided by how well a team can perform down the stretch. The last couple games of the season can be the difference between the playoffs and watching the games at home for a team on the brink.

For the women’s soccer team, the season could be defined by an unfortunate slow start.

Northwestern (8-7-1, 3-4-0 Big Ten) has three games to play and is tied for sixth in the conference. Eight teams make the Big Ten tournament and the Wildcats can put themselves in position to contend for the title.

But by losing three of its first five games of league play – all by one goal – NU could be in a more secure position heading into the end of the season.

But in spite of a slow start, NU has shown it can overcome the adversity.

“A few games have been heartbreaking,” sophomore forward Sam Greene said. “A couple of the first games of league, we lost by a one-goal differential. But we just had to move on, and we have.”

To complete the turnaround, the Cats must contend in their three remaining road games of the regular season, starting with a game at Iowa (8-8-1, 2-4-1) on Friday.

The Hawkeyes are currently one spot behind the Cats in ninth place in the conference, but are guaranteed a spot in the tournament because they are the host. With Iowa taking an automatic berth, the NU must finish in the top seven to guarantee themselves a shot at the conference title.

On Sunday, the Cats will travel to No. 25 Minnesota (15-2-0, 5-2-0), the second place team in the conference. The Gophers are 8-0 at home this season, and have outscored their opponents 29-6. But last season NU traveled to Minnesota and walked away with a 1-0 win.

Not only will Greene and the NU defense have to slow down the Minnesota’s attack, but the team will also have to find a way to score against senior goalkeeper Lindsey Dare, who has 13 shutouts this season and allows a league-best 0.35 goals per game.

“These games coming up are in the back of our mind,” senior defender Laura Janowitsch said. “But we just got to play our game and play together. We have to take some chances and risks when we have a chance to score.”

After celebrating a victory in the last game of the regular season at home, the seniors are now focusing their energy on the upcoming weekend. The sense of urgency is building among players, especially seniors, knowing how slow they started and how tough the next three games will be.

But Janowitsch is confident her team can squeeze into the playoffs for one last shot at a Big Ten title.

“There is a sense of urgency, especially it being my senior year,” Janowitsch said. “We know we need to bring a lot of energy and intensity this weekend.”

While some players may be feeling the heat, head coach Stephanie Erickson is calm and satisfied with the state of the team before the three-game road trip.

Erickson said she is comfortable where her team is at and its chances of making the conference tournament in two weeks.

“I feel pretty good where we are sitting right now – tied for sixth,” said Erickson. “It’s really to our advantage and I still feel like in control of things. We need to overcome the disadvantage of being on the road for the last three games but I think we can.”