ENH, Feinberg split; name of hospital changes

On Sept. 15, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare changed its name to NorthShore University HealthSystem to reflect a change in the group’s structure and a change in affiliation.

The University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine replaced Northwestern’s Feinberg School of Medicine as the group’s primary affiliate in June. Feinberg and NorthShore had worked together since 1950.

NorthShore currently includes Evanston Hospital, Glenbrook Hospital and Highland Park Hospital. Rush North Shore Medical Center in Skokie will be added to the group in January.

The group contains more than 2,000 affiliated physicians and several multi-specialty group practices. NorthShore also gives grants to clinical and translational research and supports teaching and research at Pritzker.

“So much has changed during the past dozen years,” said Mark Neaman, NorthShore chief executive and president, in a video on the NorthShore Web site.. “We have grown substantially, from being Evanston Hospital to becoming an integrated healthcare delivery system that now constitutes a broad geographic reach across the greater North Shore.”

Although a representative from the school declined to comment on the issue, the Feinberg Web site states that the split occurred because “the level of autonomy demanded by Evanston Northwestern Healthcare was incompatible with an academic culture of collaboration, partnership, peer-review, and accountability.”

When the affiliation officially ends in June, Feinberg students will no longer be able to train and learn in NorthShore hospitals, and 360 full-time faculty members will cease work at NorthShore facilities. NorthShore will no longer collaborate with Feinberg in future academic studies.

“I’m pretty upset about it because we are losing a great opportunity because (Evanston Hospital) has such good teaching facilities,” said Gloria Lan, a first-year Feinberg medical student.