Letters: NU needs to do more for black students

NU needs to do more for black students

The approximately 80 black freshmen who enrolled at Northwestern this fall is not a shocking number to black students involved in the black community here.

During my freshman year, I hosted three prospective students, spent hours on panels, and even more time planning different outreach activities for black freshmen when they came to visit during PreviewNU.

But even all of that work cannot solve the overarching problems that are affecting black enrollment. If you speak to those black students who were admitted into the class of 2012, but decided not to attend, the majority of them didn’t come for the same reason, financial aid. Either their financial aid package left their families still paying more than they could afford or another school gave them a better one. Furthermore in a few cases, some never received a financial aid package and are still waiting for it.

Another problem that is often overlooked is the atmosphere here at NU. Currently, Northwestern’s atmosphere is one that breads intolerance, racism, sexism, and other situations that shouldn’t be tolerated at such a “prestigious” university. Countless black students here at NU currently face situations that others read about in history books.

Whatever happened to that Ph.D. student who was dressed in blackface? What about the NU police officer who called in my WildCARD? Or the TA who was being racist to a few of my friends?

All of these issues are swept under the rug, which creates an environment that is unwelcoming to black students. Perhaps NU should recall what they did when the numbers were higher, like in the seventies (in 1975 there were 646 black students) compared to 2007 admissions statistics which showed only 480 black students. In the end, NU’s administration and students really shouldn’t be shocked at the low number of black students here at NU. The administration has known for years that financial aid and the environment are the two turnoffs for black students and they have yet done anything substantial to solve the problem.

Ultimately it is not up to the students, but the administration to decide to officially do something about the low number of black students here at Northwestern.

-MARCUS SHEPARDCommunications sophomore

CRC strikes back in battle with PARC

Trevor Seela’s column “Cops aid in flag scandal” criticizing CRC for using the confusion following police intervention during its Capture the Flag game with PARC is no more than distortion. This is not surprising; Seela was not even in the game. He was “walking out of The Daily when it happened.”

I, however, was there, in the game, in the midst of it all. And here’s what really went down. Relying on her wits, Amy Anderson infiltrated PARC territory around midnight. She snooped around for some time before discovering the PARC flag. “The cops had not told us to leave at that point,” said Anderson. “I ran across our line before the game dispersed.”

So why did the cheering begin after the police showed up?

What Seela did not consider, not being in the game, is that both teams were highly scattered, so it took a period-during which the police actually did appear, impeding the process-for the news of victory to spread and for the teams to converge.

Seela implied the cops were so slow that Amy had enough time to run out, discern the still undetermined location of PARC’s flag, and run back before the game shut down.

They weren’t slow. I saw them bust into the area, and, when they did, Amy was already behind me, clutching the flag, my ecstatic teammates gathering around her.The rest of the story you can guess. The cops warded us off to the tune of CRC’s cheers. PARC trudged silently home, as bitter as anyone else would be.

Apparently, that bitterness has yet to subside, at least for some people. To that, I say, do with it what you will. But be wary; I won’t hesitate to fling around the term “sore loser” whenever it is appropriate.

-CHRISTOPHER KIRKMedill freshman