Firing Squad: Walking the NU plank

I’ve been here for three years, but I’ve never seen a game as difficult as this.

You’re walking down Sheridan Road, and it begins. Time to Tony Hawk your way over the wood boards at Tech to pick up a drink at the café. And then, disaster happens.

Your left flip-flop falls into a hole along the string of boards that has Tech currently resembling a Lego pirate ship.

“Thank you for playing Evanston/Northwestern strip poker!”

I couldn’t help but feel like the university was forcing me to remove an article of clothing.

Freshmen, I’m sure you played your first game this weekend. Traveling in those annual New Student Week “Dances with Wolves” packs, you found that random bruise and remembered the plank that sandwiched your ankle in front of Willard.

I salvaged my flip-flop, but with classes starting Tuesday, should I have had to spend five minutes of my time fishing through the dirt-trodden construction path?

Sure, work was done during the summer. I’ve seen crews out there every day. But the first day of class is not a time for students to deal with workers directing traffic and cranes clamoring outside classroom windows.

Besides, didn’t those annual tuition hikes take affect well before September 23? I know my e-mail grew spicy when that first “your (increased) bill has been loaded into QuikPAY system” popped up on August 30.

So as you hop your way to class tomorrow, realize that your five-digit tuition dollars are hard at work. But as those construction projects move at a snail’s place, don’t expect to keep your clothes on.