ASG amends code, not constitution

Associated Student Government senators voted 24-7-2 to amend ASG’s code and reorganize the organization Wednesday night in a four-hour session.

Debate on proposed corresponding constitutional amendments was postponed to a later time, meaning that none of the changes approved will go into effect.

The changes were all originally proposed as constitutional amendments, but following the opposition of some in the Senate, particularly the Rules Committee, many of the changes, such as the enumeration of powers of the new offices of Vice President and Director of Human Resources, were placed in the ASG code.

Also missing from the new code is the addition of a research and development director, who would have augmented other directors, like the academic and social services directors to help develop ideas for projects. As the meeting closed, the possibility was raised of holding a new session next week, rather than face the prospect of having the changes in the code be reconciled with the constitution by the Rules Committee.

ASG President Neal Sales-Griffin said that calling an extra session of Senate was not up to him.

“It’s all about what the people want,” “If Jack and the Senators and the Rules Committee deem it the best course to go about this, then it’ll happen.”

Read more in tomorrow’s DAILY.