Seeking a real Big Ten rival

Dear Big Ten institutions,

Hey, guys! How have you all been? Ohio State – have you gotten over the national championship loss yet? We’re here for you, buddy. And Michigan – how are the Big House renovations coming? Lose to any D-III teams lately? Nah, I’m just kidding with you, Blue.

Listen, I’m sure you’re all very busy, so I’m going to get right to the point: Northwestern needs a rivalry. And I don’t mean an “Illinois plays us for the Sweet Sioux Tomahawk” kind of rivalry, but a real rivalry, like Ohio State-Michigan.

Now, I know when a lot of you hear the words “Northwestern sports”, you might not initially consider us rival material. You probably think of an inconsistent football team. Or maybe a men’s basketball team that always gives its fans just enough hope to leave them disappointed.

(Though as an aside, have you seen our new recruits? We’ve finally got some height! I’m telling you, this is the year we turn it around. See? Just enough hope.)

What you don’t necessarily think of is all of our dominant programs, like men’s soccer, wrestling, women’s tennis and women’s softball. These are teams that perennially contend for national titles and routinely kick your butts.

So what’s keeping us from having a legitimate rivalry with one of you? I think we’d be a great fit with a number of Big Ten schools. Take Iowa, for example. The Wildcats have had some great battles with the Hawkeyes in recent years.

In football, we’ve traded road wins over the past two seasons. And remember that last minute, two-touchdown, 28-27 comeback victory we scored against you in 2005? I know we do. We both have top wrestling programs that always provide entertaining duals. And don’t forget basketball: We’ve had some great buzzer beaters against each other in the last few years.

What about you, Illinois? I already mentioned that we have a “rivalry game” every fall, so in theory there’s solid foundation to build upon. The geographic ties are there, too, as we fight it out to see who is tops in the Land of Lincoln.

Here’s a dark horse: Michigan State. Like us, the Spartans kid themselves with delusions of a rivalry that doesn’t exist (they think they have one with Michigan.) Like us, they often live in the shadow of another Big Ten school from the same state. And there’s definitely some recent history – 41-38, anyone? Biggest comeback in college football history? And we returned the favor last year with a 48-41 overtime win. This could work.

So come on, Big Ten! Let’s get a little rivalry going. We promise you won’t be disappointed.

Sincerely, A concerned NU fan

Assistant sports editor Ben Larrison is a Medill junior. He can be reached at [email protected].