Softball: Eight-run inning fuels run-rule win

Northwestern went into its opening matchup of the Big Ten tournament well aware of the threat of an upset.

Before their first-round game against Ohio State, the Wildcats witnessed Michigan State upset co-Big Ten champion Michigan, knocking the Wolverines out of the tournament.

“The first game of any tournament is the hardest,” coach Kate Drohan said. “It’s typical Big Ten softball. Every game counts, and there are so many good teams here, and it’s just a gentle reminder to take one game at a time.”

NU did not fall victim to the upset, defeating Ohio State by the run rule, 8-0, in five innings. But the game did not start off as planned for the Cats.

Ohio State’s junior starter Kim Reeder was dominant through three innings, as NU went down quietly without advancing a runner past second base. The combination of sophomore hurler Lauren Delaney’s pitching and good defense kept the Cats in the game as they waited for the offense to heat up.

Delaney, who was named Big Ten Pitcher of the Year on Thursday, got off to a rough start, allowing the first two Buckeyes she faced to reach base safely. After a sacrifice bunt moved those runners to second and third, Ohio State’s Tory Haddad grounded to shortstop Tammy Williams. Recently named Big Ten Player of the Year, Williams ignored the easy out at first and instead got the lead runner at home to kill the Buckeye rally.

Delaney did not allow a hit the rest of the game.

“We kind of got in a little lull there,” Ohio State coach Linda Kalafatis said. “We had some things we wanted to key in on at bat, and we did that really well at times, and at times we didn’t. Obviously (Delaney) started to use her changeup more, it’s a great pitch, and she’s a great thrower.”

After Nicole Pauly started the fourth inning with a fly out to left, the NU rally began with an Erin Dyer walk. Aly Euler pinch-ran for the junior catcher, and sophomore Kelly Dyer followed with a single. After a passed ball, freshman Kelly Quinn dropped a single between first and second to score the Cats’ first run. Two batters later, No. 9 hitter Darcy Sengewald, the team’s only senior, singled home Kelly Dyer.

“I think the balance of the lineup today was great,” Drohan said. “Everything started with the middle to bottom of the order, and what that does is it enables everyone on the team to relax and play their game.”

With the bases loaded and leadoff hitter Jordan Wheeler due up, Drohan pinch-hit Emily Haug, who hit .419 this season in limited at-bats. Haug ripped a single to left that scored two runs.

When Williams followed with a hit-by-pitch, Ohio State’s Megan Miller replaced Reeder on the mound. The sophomore hurler was equally unsuccessful, allowing the first two Cats she faced to reach base. An Erin Dyer lineout finally ended a stretch of nine straight baserunners for NU.

But the Cats weren’t quite done. Ashley Lafever, pinch running for Batts, scored the eighth and final run of the afternoon on a wild pitch.

“It was great to see the team feed off each other,” Drohan said.

Usually powered by the home run, NU scored its eight runs with only one extra-base hit.

“We were a little surprised with all the singles,” Kalafatis said.

Delaney entered the circle in the fifth and set down Ohio State in order to clinch the victory.

In advancing to the second round, the Cats avenged last year’s loss to the Buckeyes in the conference championship game.

The Cats next play Friday at 4:30 p.m. against the winner of the Purdue-Minnesota game.