Maysing returns after one-year absence

Newly pledged Greeks will take a trip back to the era of “Saved by the Bell” and boy bands May 20 for this year’s Nineties Nostalgia Maysing. The Panhellenic Association and the Interfraternity Council worked together to revive the event after the cancellation of last year’s Maysing.

During the event, groups of up to 65 fraternity and sorority members will lip-synch and dance for five-minute routines in front of their peers at Leverone Hall. Sophomores will not be allowed to perform even though the event did not take place last year, said Leila Stehlik-Barry, Maysing chairwoman and Panhel vice president for programming.

“Other classes can get involved if they want,” the Weinberg junior said. “They can help lead, brainstorm, choreograph and choose music.”

While this year’s event will dole out prizes for top costumes and performances, the evening’s emphasis will not be on the competition, organizers said.

“I can see how people say there’s competition, but it is just a way for pledge classes to get to know each other and have the Greeks on campus cheering each other on,” said McCormick senior Dayne Bartscht, Maysing co-chairman and vice president for programming of the Interfraternity Council.

Although this is the first year groups will lip-synch, performers will still have the opportunity to show off their creativity, Stehlik-Barry said.

“Costumes and dancing are up to the groups,” she said. “It’s a way to put their creative juices to work.”

Both Maysing co-chairs said they were not certain of why last year’s event was cancelled. The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life declined to comment on the event.

“It’s a long-standing tradition at Northwestern,” Bartscht said. “I’m excited to see it coming back, but it will be difficult because this year both the freshman and sophomore classes don’t know what it really is.”

Alpha Phi member Colleen Antas said she does not know much about Maysing but is very excited to take part in the event.

“I’ve heard it’s something where people can be free (and) funny (and can) dance and sing,” the SESP freshman said. “People can make fools of themselves in a good and carefree way.”

Groups can be made up of a combination of members of different sororities and fraternities, Stehlik-Barry said.

Bartscht said every performing group must preview its act for the co-chairmen to make sure the groups’ content is appropriate.

Maysing evolved from the traditions of Women’s Sing and Men’s Sing, which date back to the 1890s. The events were formally established around 1910 as part of May Week. Maysing started as a choral performance competition that later evolved into a performance of short skits. This year, the event will be “air-band style,” with a focus on lip-synching and dancing instead of dialogue, Stehlik-Barry said.

“Groups are using music instead of singing as a way to make (performances) shorter, more casual and less competitive,” she said.