SAFB announces funding recommendations

Student groups took priority at Associated Student Government Senate, as the Student Activities Finance Board submitted its funding recommendations for A-status groups, and the executive committee, which governs B- and T-status groups, was elected Wednesday night.

SAFB’s recommendations for funding increased to $278,529 for A&O Productions, to $143,640 for Mayfest and decreased to $42,088 for the College Democrats. Altogether, funding recommendations for student groups increased to $892,753 from $855,522 last year, growth that corresponded with the increase in the Student Activities Fee, Financial Vice President Seva Rodnyansky said.

This year’s list differed from last year’s in that it had explanations for the board’s decisions, the Weinberg junior said. For example, A&O’s funding increase for the “Fall Blowout Concert” was explained by the following: “This event has been a resounding success year-on-year, so it has been rewarded with a reasonable honorarium increase,” according to the spring funding proposal booklet.

“This year, the SAFB decided to publish explanations for the items,” he said. “This is to minimize the amount of time spent asking unnecessary questions.”

Executive committee elections proceeded with little friction. Brian Rosenthal and Sheena Agarwal, both Daily staffers, and Patrick Dawson were elected to the three positions reserved for senators. Devon Weiss, Miles Drummond and Nikhil Bafna were elected to the non-Senate seats unopposed.

The ratification of new elections guidelines, scheduled for this week, was tabled when many senators, including members of the election committee, raised additional concerns about the existing system.