Kellogg embarks on planning phase for new campus building

The Kellogg School of Management is in the “planning phase” of building a new facility that would free up space in the Donald P. Jacobs Center for other departments, Dean Dipak Jain said.

The size, cost and location of the building have not been finalized. It will likely be larger than the 240,000-sq. ft. Jacobs Center, which could house departments in the social sciences in addition to Kellogg, said NU President Henry Bienen during a recent interview.

The new facility will eventually serve as a new home for Kellogg’s full-time MBA program, Kellogg spokeswoman Meg Washburn said.

Because the Jacobs Center was built in three separate stages, with the last addition completed in 2001, Jain said the center is not “well-integrated” for Kellogg students.

“Facilities do create a sense of community,” he said. “Students spend so much time in the school and in the building, we want to make sure the building is user-friendly.”

But whether the new building is built will depend upon Kellogg’s fundraising success, Bienen said.

“No matter what happens, Kellogg has to raise a significant amount of money for the building to be built,” he said.

Kellogg will create a capital campaign committee to raise money for the new facility and other Kellogg initiatives. In February, Matt Ter Molen, former NU vice president of alumni relations, was appointed Kellogg’s associate dean for development and corporate relations, a position that will help “to secure lead gifts for the new Kellogg facility,” according to a press release.

“I see a level of excitement among our alumni and corporate partners,” Jain said.