Women’s Tennis Predictions

FIRST ROUND

No. 8 MINNESOTA (14-10, 3-7 Big Ten) vs. No. 9 PURDUE

(4-16, 2-8)

These two teams met to close out their regular seasons, and it was a close call for the Gophers. Down 3-2, Minnesota had to come from behind to knock off Purdue at West Lafayette, Ind. The home turf will not help the Boilermakers.

Daily pick: Minnesota

No. 6 MICHIGAN STATE (12-12, 3-7) vs. No. 11 WISCONSIN (9-13, 2-8)

The Badgers knocked off the Spartans in the teams’ season finale, 5-2. Wisconsin matched up well with Michigan State in that dual, winning the first three singles matches and sweeping the doubles point. Expect the early-round upset here.

Daily pick: Wisconsin

No. 7 IOWA (12-9, 3-7) vs. No. 10

PENN STATE (8-13, 2-8)

The Hawkeyes knocked off the Nittany Lions in their regular season matchup, 5-2, on March 30. While No. 56 Iowa has lost four of its last five duals, Penn State has lost seven of its last eight. Something has got to give.

Daily pick: Iowa

QUARTERFINALS

NO. 1 NORTHWESTERN (23-1, 10-0) vs. No. 8 MINNESOTA

Coach Claire Pollard’s Wildcats are top-ranked in the nation, and have held that post for eight consecutive weeks. Northwestern swept the Gophers, 7-0, on April 23, with a pair of 6-0, 6-1 singles wins from junior Georgia Rose and Nazlie Ghazal. Make it 18 straight wins for the Cats.

Daily pick: NU

No. 4 ILLINOIS (11-9, 7-3) vs. No. 5 OHIO STATE (19-6, 6-4)

Illinois upset Ohio State on the road earlier this year, 5-2. The Illini closed out the regular season winning two-straight duals. But the Buckeyes are 10-2 since March 17, with their only losses coming against Illinois and NU. Revenge is sweet.

Daily Pick: Ohio State

No. 3 INDIANA (19-6, 8-2) vs. No. 11 WISCONSIN

Indiana coach Lin Loring enters his 31st Big Ten tournament, and has won 16 conference titles in his illustrious career. The No. 30 Hoosiers have plenty of firepower to knock out the lowly Badgers, whom they swept in Madison on April 5.

Daily pick: Indiana

No. 2 Michigan (16-4, 9-1) vs. No.7 Iowa

The No. 21 Wolverines are almost as hot as the Cats, winning 14 straight duals. Junior Chisako Sugiyama is coming off a 4-0 weekend against Ohio State and Indiana. Michigan also recorded a 7-0 sweep against Iowa in their only meeting this season.

Daily pick: Michigan

SEMIFINALS

NO. 1 NU VS. NO. 5 OHIO STATE

The Cats swept the Buckeyes on April 5 in a dominating 7-0 sweep. All but one of the wins came in straight sets, meaning NU’s dominance will continue. They enter the finals with 19 straight wins.

Daily pick: NU

NO. 2 MICHIGAN VS. NO. 3 INDIANA

Much like NU’s regular season dominance of Ohio State, Michigan closed its season with a 7-0 pasting of Indiana at home. They enter the finals with 16 straight wins.

Daily pick: Michigan

FINALS

No.1 NU vs. NO. 2 MICHIGAN

Michigan’s roster is stacked with quality players. But NU has not lost to a Big Ten team in four years, and has not lost a Big Ten tournament championship in nine years. Odds stacked? You bet.

Daily pick: NU