Hip-hop artist Common will be final performer on Dillo Day this year

Chicago hip-hop artist Common will wrap up Dillo Day 2008, Mayfest organizers confirmed Tuesday.

Mayfest sent Common an offer Feb. 6 and entered into negotiations, said Weinberg junior Diana Richter, Mayfest’s director of concerts. The contract then went through NU’s legal department and back to Common. The group received the signed contract Monday, Richter said.

“A rap act is energetic. It has a beat to it,” Mayfest Co-Chairman and Weinberg senior Brendon Lavernia said. “It’s the last act of the day when people are getting a little tired, so it brings up the crowd.”

Mayfest narrowed down its choice for night headliner to three rap acts but chose the Grammy winner because members thought he would appeal to the most students, Mayfest Co-Chairman Benjamin Stix said.

“Common’s a Chicago rapper, he’s got a positive message and he’s an extremely intelligent lyricist,” the Weinberg senior said. “He also is a fantastic live performer, which you don’t often see in rap acts.”

Common was one of Mayfest’s first choices for Dillo Day performers, Richter said.

“He’s going to be one of those artists who want to be here,” she said. “He really has a connection with the city, which makes for a better show.”

The group has not announced the other artists who will perform on

Dillo Day, but the different acts will cross genres, Stix said.

“We want to appeal to as many people as possible,” he said. “We think that this is going to be one of the best lineups ever for Dillo Day.”