NNN wins Best Sports Reporting, Newscast from Broadcasters Assn.

Northwestern News Network took home the SINBA award for Best Newscast from the Illinois News Broadcasters Association on Saturday night.

SportsNight, NNN’s weekly broadcast that highlights news about Wildcat athletics and the Big Ten conference, also won a SINBA for Best Sports Reporting. SportsNight also won the College Emmy Award for Best Newscast in March.

“These guys are an incredible team, both in SportsNight and in NNN,” said the network’s faculty adviser, Medill Prof. Larry Stuelpnagel. “They just keep wanting to push themselves harder, and they keep getting better and better.”

The quality of the team’s storytelling and on-air performance has really improved, said Ryan Dietz, an executive producer for SportsNight.

“We’re taking the ESPN model and figuring out what they do well, then modeling it for Northwestern sports,” the Medill junior said. “And we’re actually applying for awards this year.”

NNN will continue to improve the quality of its shows, Dietz said.

“Right now we’re just making sure that we keep winning these awards and keep taking the shows to the next level,” he said.

Stuelpnagel said he was “blown away” by the staff’s passion and professionalism.

“They’re dealing with some real stories that really impact the Northwestern community,” Stuelpnagel said. “They’re not doing fluff.”