One Voice, Stars play free concert against human trafficking

While an audience of about 350 students lounged and chatted on tie-dye blankets, crowded near the stage or threw Frisbees near Lake Michigan, Canadian indie band Stars played a free concert on the Norris University Center East Lawn on Sunday to benefit the anti-human trafficking group One Voice.

A&O Productions co-sponsored the event, which opened with a performance by Northwestern student band French Horn Rebellion. Representatives of anti-trafficking groups the Polaris Project and Partnership to Rescue our Minors from Sexual Exploitation spoke before and during the performances.

One Voice, a student group including members of 14 other NU groups, culminated its yearlong campaign against human trafficking with the concert. The group also hosted speakers and events throughout the year aimed at raising student awareness about sexual and labor exploitation.

“People are coming (to the concert) who know the Stars but don’t necessarily know a lot about human trafficking, so we can bring awareness about the cause to them,” said Weinberg sophomore Jenny Yoo, the education chairwoman for One Voice.

One Voice set up donation cans, and sold popcorn and face-painting to audience members for $1. Donors each received raffle tickets from American Airlines to win a free flight.

Students ran to the front of the stage as Stars began their performance with rock-based instrumentals and vocals. Lead singers Chris Seligman and Amy Millan, bassist Evan Cranley, drummer Pat McGee, and pianist Torquil Campbell threw roses to the crowd while playing songs including “Ageless Beauty,” “Your Ex-Lover is Dead” and “The Night is Dead.”

The audience swayed, cheered, and sang along to the band’s hit songs.

“I’ve seen (Stars) perform three times, but this is my favorite one because it was outside and there was a small crowd,” McCormick sophomore Matt Lowes said.

Before Stars came on stage, a speaker from Partnership to Rescue our Minors from Sexual Exploitation spoke to students about their organization’s work on legislation to end international human trafficking.

“I sat through the speaker and I was actually listening and it made me realize what is going on and it’s kind of freaky,” said Weinberg junior Robert Chang. “Now I know about (human trafficking) and it makes me want to do something like letting other people know and donating money.’

In addition to raising money to fight human trafficking, the informational events throughout the concert raised awareness of the various student groups who make up One Voice and the social issues tied up with human trafficking, Yoo said.

“Hopefully people feel that this is an imminent issue,” she said. “As students we can’t break up brothels, but I hope this will plant a seed so that one day when (the students) reach a position where they can contribute to correct this injustice, they will.”