Softball: Early hole no problem

Though visiting Loyola Chicago struck first with a run in the opening frame, No. 18 Northwestern slugged its way to a 9-1 victory on Thursday and is set to travel to Ohio State for a doubleheader Sunday.

The Ramblers played small ball in the first inning, using bunts and stolen bases to advance runners and score their only run of the game.

NU took the lead back in the bottom half of the inning after freshman designated player Michelle Batts lined a double to left field, driving in two runs.

“It was really hard to get used to the pitching my first at-bat,” Batts said. “First swing I took, honestly I whiffed really badly, I was ahead of the pitch, and then I did it again, and I was like ‘I just got to wait longer and hit it to the left field.'”

That approach must have worked, as Batts hit a home run in each of her next two at-bats. The freshman finished with five RBIs in her best performance this season.

The onslaught led the game to be called after five innings because of the Cats’ eight-run lead.

Standout junior shortstop Tammy Williams added an RBI, as did Nicole Pauly, Erin Dyer and Kelly Dyer. Leadoff hitter Jordan Wheeler set the table with two hits in three at-bats and scored both times she reached base.

Complementing NU’s hot hitting was a stellar performance by sophomore starting pitcher Lauren Delaney. Delaney did not allow a run or a hit after the first inning and struck out nine batters, improving her record to 16-6.

“We talked a lot about our loss last year to Loyola,” coach Kate Drohan said. “I think we had a pretty good game plan going in, and we hit the ball well,”

In addition to avenging last year’s loss, the Cats improved their record to 18-9 with the win. NU can get even more revenge this weekend when they face the Buckeyes.

“Ohio State beat us out in the regular season last year, beat us out in the tournament last year, so this is another game that kind of haunts us from last year, and there’s a lot of enthusiasm in preparing for Ohio State,” Drohan said.

Players and coaches said they feel preparing for the doubleheader with Ohio State is easier after defeating the Ramblers. In addition to the positive momentum resulting from the Cats’ fifth straight win, the Ramblers and the Buckeyes have a similar style of play.

“This game definitely gets us ready for Ohio State this weekend because they will have several players like Loyola did at the top of the lineup,” Delaney said, “so it gets us ready for what we’re expecting defensively.”

Ohio State enters Sunday’s contests ranked No. 24, with two wins and two losses thus far in Big Ten play. Though they own a more impressive record than NU at 23-10, the Buckeyes have earned their record against inferior competition, while the Cats have the third-hardest schedule in the nation.

The rivalry between the two teams continues at 11 a.m. Sunday at Buckeye Field in Columbus, Ohio.