Men’s Basketball: Boiler guard on trying to be like Mike

Coming off of a win over No. 9 Michigan State, No. 23 Purdue sits atop the Big Ten with an 20-5 record, and an 11-1 mark against conference teams. Tarrance Crump, the only senior on the team, averages 4.6 points in 16.4 minutes per game for the Boilermakers.

The Daily’s Franklin Kao talked with the 6-foot-1 guard at Big Ten Media Day.

Daily Sports: You’re the only senior on the team this year. How much do you think your leadership will help the team?

Crump: I think it’ll help a lot. We got guys in the right direction, we just got to teach guys (about) what it takes to play at a championship level and what it takes to get through the Big Ten at a competitive level.

Daily: From last season, what was one of your favorite games you played in and why?

Crump: Probably between (the home games against) Michigan State or Illinois. They were fun games. Home games, blowouts. It was exciting.

Daily: Who is your favorite basketball player of all time and why?

Crump: Michael Jordan because I grew up in Chicago.

Daily: What aspect of his game did you like the most?

Crump: Just his approach to the game. You know what he’s going to give you every night. You know he was going to give you 35, maybe 40, maybe 60 (points).

Daily: What are your plans after college?

Crump: I want to continue my basketball career. If not, I want to get into real estate or sales/management. Something of that nature.

Daily: You hit the game-winning shot against Virginia Tech last year. What does it feel like to hit a buzzer beater like that?

Crump: It was a very good feeling. At home too, ESPN2 game, and we won, that was the biggest thing.

Daily: So you first played at Shelton State Community College (in Tuscaloosa, Ala.). What was the transition like coming to Purdue?

Crump: More people: 7,000 to 40,000, that was a big difference. As far as basketball goes, there’s a lot more stuff you have to do because you’re in the Big Ten.

Daily: If you weren’t playing basketball, what other sport would you pursue?

Crump: Baseball or football.

Daily: What is it like playing for coach Matt Painter?

Crump: It’s a good experience. He’s a really high-energy guy. He expects a lot out of his players and he knows how to motivate his guys He’s a good guy to play for.