Sig Ep student remembered for perseverance

Members of Sigma Phi Epsilon and other friends mourned the loss McCormick student Bryan Paynter, who died of cancer Monday. Paynter would have been a senior this year.

Prior to being diagnosed with cancer, Paynter majored in industrial engineering and economics, but left Northwestern as he sought treatment. He played club volleyball and intramural basketball, and continued to pursue athletics after he began treatment.

Paynter grew up in Glenview, Ill., and graduated from Glenbrook South High School in 2004.

Through multiple rounds of treatment, remission and the cancer’s return, Paynter handled it all with grace, said Shawn Basak, a member of Paynter’s fraternity, Sig Ep.

“When he first told us about it, that was the only time he ever showed any fear,” the SESP senior said. “After that, he always treated it like just another obstacle he had to overcome. In his place, I don’t think I’d be big enough to even fathom that.”

During his illness, he gave presentations on athletics to his fraternity brothers, Basak said.

“He was training for a marathon,” Basak said. “It just goes to show his perseverance.”

Basak said despite Paynter’s long illness, his death still came as a surprise.

“We always thought he would overcome it because of his strength and courage,” he said. “I take solace in that he finally has some rest.”

According to his Facebook profile, Paynter’s wake is scheduled for Friday at Oehler Funeral Home in Des Plaines, Ill. The funeral will be held on Saturday at St. Catherine Laboure in Glenview.