CURE and DM affect much more just than kids (Letter to the editor)

As a member of the organization CURE, Citizens United for Research in Epilepsy, the recipient of last years’ Dance Marathon, I couldn’t let Christopher Danzig’s article criticizing DM go unchallenged (“Firing Squad,” Jan. 29). Danzig takes issue with DM’s choice of charities and their heavy support toward those helping children. Yet, in the past four years, DM has sponsored four different organizations, two focused on children and two focused on adults and children.

Moreover, epilepsy can start at any age and affects over three million Americans (young and old). Many people don’t know that seizures are one of the most serious health issues affecting the aging population today. In addition, CURE is using the funds that DM raised last year to fund traumatic brain injury research, one of the faster growing causes of epilepsy today and the signature wound for soldiers fighting the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Danzig’s article is true stating that fund-raising isn’t easy. However, successful fund-raisers reach out to the community as well as family and friends. An inherent part of philanthropy is developing a creative fund-raising approach.

I wonder if Danzig really danced at DM. If so, somehow he missed the real point. DM significantly impacts the organizations it funds and makes a difference to real people – children and adults – dealing with real issues!

On behalf of CURE, we are proud to be a recipient of DM and can’t imagine an organization more realistic in dealing with important causes.

– kathy dodd

Former Board Member, CURE