ASG looks to open Rock to political plugs

Neal Sales-Griffin has experience as a leader with the Institute for Student Business Education. He says he has good judgment, he can manage, but none of the skills he can list on a resume really explain why he is best for the job.

“The most important thing is passion,” the SESP junior said, “passion for ASG, for Northwestern.”

Sales-Griffin beat out five Associated Student Government nominations as a senator to the financial vice president selection committee, making him one of six members on the committee who will vote to choose ASG’s financial vice president.

Senators who briefly campaigned for Sales-Griffin at Wednesday’s ASG meeting said they trusted his judgment, dedication and knowledge. The other candidates were Weinberg juniors Aamna Anwer, Will Upton and Allison Cook, and SESP senior Ivy LeTourneau.

With Sales-Griffin’s passion, he said he hopes to find a financial vice president who carries that same quality.

“We just want good people,” he said, “good, passionate people.”

Also at the meeting, senators approved Student Activities Finance Board’s recommendations on For Members Only’s and College Feminists’ financial misconduct regarding their individual publications, Blackboard and Juice, respectively. Both of the publications missed their Fall Quarter deadlines for release.

Blackboard and Juice will be under close watch by ASG this quarter. Both publications will be audited and will have to update ASG throughout the quarter on each publications’ status. If Blackboard’s winter issue is not released in time, it will be subject to automatic removal of its spring quarter funding. Juice is not subject to the same provision because it does not have a spring issue. Both the recommendations were passed because neither FMO or College Feminists appealed.

“Them not appealing shows they understand and agree with the recommendations,” Financial Vice President Aneesa Arshad, a SESP senior.

In addition, ASG Clerk James D’Angelo updated the Senate on his work with the general counsel, which agreed to allow all ASG-recognized groups to reserve The Rock and rally for political candidates, an issue he has been working on since Fall Quarter. The Communication junior will continue to work with the general counsel to update NU’s political activity policy, which currently prohibits the use of university resources to promote political candidates because of NU’s tax-exempt status.

“They agree the policy was pretty poorly written,” D’Angelo said.

But the general counsel has not changed its current policy. Instead it is changing its interpretation of the policy to not include The Rock as part of “university resources,” so student groups can rally before the Feb. 5 Illinois presidential primary, D’Angelo said.

Reach Alice Truong at [email protected].

For more up-to-date coverage about Associated Student Government, check out The Daily’s ASG blog at

www.dailynorthwestern.com.