A Christmas Carol – with a Daily twist

The assistant editors share their thoughts on some memorable holidays – past, present and future.

Christmas Past

The high-pitched sound of Alvin and the Chipmunks singing carols fills my living room as I run around the house on Christmas Eve. I have already swapped my velvety church dress for some flannel pajamas, and I’m now bounding down the stairs to our kitchen, where my older sister, brother and I will write The Letter.

As Mom rummages through the refrigerator for some carrots (for Rudolph tonight, not my dog, Toby), I ask my siblings, “What should I write?” I’m 9 years old, and though kids at school tell me Santa Claus isn’t real, I still believe … I think.

With my best handwriting, I thank Santa for last year’s presents, ask him how the reindeer are doing, and, of course, tell him I’ve been pretty good this year. But at the end of the page, I deliberate, and add a quick appendage. “P.S. Santa, if you’re real, leave me a white hair from your beard.” I grin at my own cleverness.

The next morning, after rushing down the stairs to the tree, I find a single, white hair beneath the translucent tape I had attached to my letter. When I look up at my Dad’s black hair, dark as night, he smiles at me. I smile back. What’s not to believe?

Christmas Present

Some things about the holiday season never change. I probably will always be able to listen to Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas is You” on repeat for three and a half hours daily, and it will still be my favorite holiday song.

But as I’m starting to realize this year, a lot does change holiday-wise in college. For starters, take my Christmas list. In an effort to pinch pennies, I actually ask for things I need, rather than want. (Did I really jot down “CVS gift card” on my list last year? Do those even exist?)

And I know it’s cliché, but I do appreciate home a lot more after enduring taxis, shuttles, airplanes and baggage claim stress to get there.

Just like that earth-shattering moment when we realized Santa wasn’t “real,” Christmas is once again a time for growing up. I’m coming to terms with it – as long as Mariah Carey’s classic can come with me.

Christmas Future

While I was growing up, my father told me each New Year’s Day to look into the holes of the Renkon to “see” into the future. Peering through the lotus root, one of the many meaningful ingredients in the traditional Japanese New Year’s dish Osechi Ryori, I saw my life 10 years from now. Really.

Because I’m an optimist – at least most of the time – I always saw myself working for The New York Times instead of living out of a cardboard box. (Yes, I’m in the Facebook group, but whatever. I have doubts at times about my clairvoyance.) And because I’ll have that job as a journalist, I’ll be working during the holidays, chasing down that hot story instead of wolfing down some delectable Temaki-Sushi on New Year’s.

Working during the holidays: It’s pretty depressing, I know, but at least I won’t be living in a cardboard box, right?

Holiday Guide Assistant Editor Alissa Dos Santos is a Medill senior. Reach her at [email protected] Guide Assistant Editor Karina Martinez-Carter is a Medill sophomore. Reach her at [email protected] Guide Assistant Editor Paul Takahashi is a Medill sophomore. Reach him at [email protected].