CTA board pushes ‘Doomsday’ plan to mid-January

Less than a week after the Chicago Transit Authority postponed Sunday’s “Doomsday, ” the agency’s board voted Wednesday night to combine most of the bus cuts, layoffs and fare increases that were scheduled for this week and Jan. 6 into one large overhaul starting Jan. 20.

The measures are part of CTA’s 2008 budget and are intended to cover a projected $158 million shortfall. The latest plan calls for cutting 81 bus routes, increasing cash fares to $3.25 during peak hours and laying off more than 2,400 employees. All of Evanston’s CTA bus routes – #93 California/Dodge, #97 Skokie, #200 Main Shuttle, #201 Central/Ridge, #205 Chicago/Golf, and #206 Evanston Circulator – will be eliminated. Evanston’s four Pace bus routes will remain in service.

CTA postponed Sunday’s Doomsday after Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich gave the agency a $27 million grant last Friday so it could maintain the existing service and fares until the end of the year. At that time, it also planned a second Doomsday with more cuts, fare increases and layoffs for Jan. 6. The Jan. 20 plan still would eliminate all but one of the bus routes originally planned for the original Doomsdays.

Several members of the state legislature are working to find a long-term funding solution for the CTA. Rep. Julie Hamos (D-Evanston), chairwoman of the House Mass Transit Committee, is sponsoring legislation that would provide funding to the CTA, Metra and Pace by increasing local sales taxes, according to the Chicago Tribune. The plan would raise about $435 million each year.

Weinberg and Music senior Frank Fager said he’s taking the CTA funding crisis into serious consideration because he’s looking for housing after he graduates.

“It concerns me a little because I’m graduating, and I’ll be working downtown in a consulting firm,” Fager said. “It’s made me think that maybe I should live within walking distance of work and pay a little more for rent but less for transportation. I might live in the West Loop so I won’t have to worry about the CTA.”

Weinberg senior Carla Reyes said she purchased a Chicago Card because she doesn’t want to have to pay the higher fares. Under the new fare structure, riders with Chicago Cards still pay less per ride than those who pay with cash. However, she said she often ends up taking a cab anyway because of long wait times.

“It’s a shame because I really like taking the Purple Express to go downtown, especially on Fridays when I want to go out,” Reyes said.

Music senior Joey Boukhira said he’s concerned about travel costs because he’s looking for an internship in Chicago next quarter. He also said he currently has a job downtown and commutes twice per week.

“It’s just more money that I (will) need to spend,” Boukhira said.

Reach Annie Martin at [email protected].