CTA fares won’t go up – yet

The “Doomsday” Chicago Transit Authority service cuts, fare increases and layoffs that were planned for Sunday were postponed due to a $27 million grant secured by Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

The grant, which Blagojevich announced Friday after receiving federal approval, will allow the CTA and Pace to maintain its existing service and fares until the end of the year while the state legislature works toward a long-term funding solution.

The CTA planned to lay off more than 600 employees, cut 39 bus routes and increase fares by between 25 cents and $1. Evanston routes 93 California/Dodge, 205 Chicago/Golf and the 200 Main Shuttle were among bus routes slated to be cut. Without an adequate funding source, the CTA will still face a significant budget shortfall for 2008 and will be forced to implement deeper service cuts, higher fare increases and more layoffs in early 2008.

First-year Music graduate student Josh Hamilton, standing at the Davis Street El station, said he takes the El from his apartment in Oak Park to class and work every day. While he said he’s glad the fare increases and service cuts have been avoided, he thinks a “Doomsday” actually might happen if a better funding plan isn’t worked out.

“It’s good for now, but we’re going to have the same problem in two months so we need to work out a long-term solution, especially for students and people who work out of town,” Hamilton said.

The first “Doomsday” was scheduled for September, but the CTA received a $24 million advance from the state, which allowed service to continue until Nov. 4.

CTA officials said there are three major reasons behind the budget problems: a reduction in the CTA’s funding level by the Regional Transit Authority, a pending union agreement that would provide a 3 percent wage increase for employees in 2008 and the failure of the General Assembly to approve pension and health care reforms proposed by the CTA. The level of funding also has failed to keep up with inflation. In the last five years, public funding has increased by 4 percent while the inflation rate has been about 11 percent.

Loyola University Chicago student Diego Faresto, while waiting for a train at Davis, said the transit system needs to receive more funding, even if that means raising taxes.

“It was a good idea, but (Blagojevich) can’t just inject money every time there’s a ‘Doomsday, ‘” Faresto said. “I think we need to put more money into transit. Taxes will have to go up, but we have a lot of things we don’t need in this city.”

Des Plaines resident Yevgeniya Cherkasskaya, also waiting at Davis, said her mother has a vision problem and can’t drive, so she depends on the El and bus system. Cherkasskaya said she thinks the money for transit is out there, but is being used for other things.

“I think it’s horrible,” she said. “Money that goes against smoking in bars should go to transit, and they’re wasting the money.”

Reach Annie Martin at [email protected].