Wildcats prepared to shed hair for charity (Women’s Soccer)

Nothing in sports is assured, but one thing will be after Sunday’s match against Iowa: Some Wildcats will be getting a haircut.

Northwestern will host Locks of Love Day on Sunday at Lakeside Field – an event for which several Cats have been growing out their hair.

“It’s going to be fun, and it’s for a good cause, and one thing’s for sure, it’ll be entertaining,” senior goalkeeper Lauren Johnston said. “We won’t think about it till the end of the game, but we will have to part with our hair in the end.”

Locks of Love is an organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children suffering from long-term medical hair loss.

For the Cats, it provides a great opportunity to get involved in community service.

NU coach Stephanie Erickson said she knew people who contributed to the chairty before and thought it would be an ideal charity for the team to be involved with.

Free haircuts will be provided during the game Sunday, but there is a 10-inch minimum hair-length requirement for donation. Monetary donations also will be welcome.

NU also is providing prizes. The fan who donates the most hair will receive an autographed NU jersey and every donor will receive coupons from Kidsnips, a hair salon in Wilmette.

“It’s a great way to get involved with the community,” junior midfielder Amanda Hoffman said. “(Coach) Steph contacted me in the spring and asked me if I wanted to do it. I decided to because I know people who suffer from cancer.”

The team has generated involvement within the community as well as from outside of it. Johnston’s cousin will be coming from Notre Dame to be part of the event.

But for most of the Cats, it’s been a long wait for this day.

“I can’t wait,” Erickson said. “I want it off. I’m ready, it’s been a long time coming.”

Before NU gets involved with the event, it’ll be hard work on the pitch as it is eighth in the Big Ten standings, with two weekends to go before the Big Ten Championship.

The Cats (7-5-4, 2-3-2 Big Ten) take on Iowa and Minnesota, which are currently tied for sixth in the Big Ten, and results will be crucial to being one of the eight teams that qualify for the conference tournament.

The Cats beat both Iowa (7-5-4, 3-4-0) at home and Minnesota (7-7-1, 3-4-0) on the road last season.

Senior forward Kelsey Hans scored NU’s only goal against Minnesota and junior midfielder Jeanette Lorme netted the game-winner against Iowa.

“Minnesota just had the biggest win in their program’s history (against Penn State) and they’ll be inspired for the game this weekend,” Erickson said. “Iowa is a team that is really hard to score against, and it’s two really big games for us this weekend.”

Reach Pritish Behuria at [email protected].