Residents Rile Up Meeting

By Vincent Bradshaw and Matt PresserThe Daily Northwestern

Aldermen voted 5-4 to allow hobbyist beekeeping in Evanston with some regulations at the City Council meeting Monday night.

The amended ordinance changed several times throughout the night, as many aldermen suggested variations to the ordinance that was originally introduced last May.

The months of debate centered on neighbors’ concerns that a south Evanston boy’s beekeeping hobby could be a nuisance. Although there have been no specific incidents involving 14-year-old Gabriel Jacobs’ bees, some neighbors worried about the possibility of swarms, damage to homes and how a beehive would affect their property values.

John Black, Gabriel’s neighbor and one of 13 residents who spoke on the issue, said the bees “continue to be a nuisance.”

“Seventy-three neighbors have a problem with beekeeping,” he said. “They fly above the clover – walking barefoot (in the grass) is a hazard.”

But other residents, such as Sandy Swanson, said the council should move on to issues of greater importance.

“We just had a nuclear bomb go off, and we’re talking about man-created nature,” she said. “We seem to be living in a society of fear, and this issue is emphasizing that.”

Alds. Delores Holmes (5th), Edmund Moran (6th), Elizabeth Tisdahl (7th) and Anjana Hansen (9th) voted against the ordinance.

Ald. Steven Bernstein (4th) said it would be impossible to control the flight of bees no matter what restrictions are in place.

“It is so difficult to control nature,” Bernstein said. “Somebody is going to be stung by a bee. We’re not going to have them label these bees. We’re not going to have them brand them. I mean, come on.”

The ordinance that was approved after several hours of discussion will allow Gabriel to keep his bees but impose a $25 licensing fee to keep bees on an Evanston property.

The ordinance does not include setback requirements or “flyway fences” – fences designed to keep bees from entering neighboring properties – as was originally drafted and presented to the council.

After the vote, Gabriel’s mother, Susan Dickman, smiled and hugged supporters.

A group of angry neighbors gathered outside the council chambers tried to understand all of the ordinance’s amendments.

“I’m astonished what passes for government in this community,” Black said. “I don’t feel like me and 73 other people got a fair shake tonight.”

Aldermen also approved amendments to the residential landlord and tenant ordinance, allowing landlords to terminate lease agreements sooner if the tenant does not change unruly behavior.

Landlords were previously required to give tenants 30 days to correct any behavioral problems, such as loud music or parties. If the 30 days expired with good behavior, tenants would receive another warning if they acted out again.

Under the new ordinance, the tenant still will be given 30 days to comply with a landlord’s request to change a specific behavior. After that, if the actions recur, the tenant could be evicted 30 days later.

Representatives of Associated Student Government, including President Jay Schumacher, were present during the landlord debate, but no one from ASG spoke on the issue.

While aldermen cleared two ordinances off their agendas, they withheld voting on an ordinance that has been in the works for several years: affordable housing.

The inclusionary housing ordinance, which would create more living units for lower-income families, has been on the agenda for about three years. Aldermen, under advice from city staff, agreed to hold the item so the legal department could investigate the ordinance.

The proposed housing ordinance would require developers to designate a portion of their property for families who do not make 100 percent of the median income for Evanston families. Instead of reserving housing units, developers instead could contribute to a special fund for the off-site development of affordable units.

A representative from the legal staff said the current proposal must provide benefits or waivers for the developers if it is to be effective.

The issue will be up for discussion again at the Oct. 23 Planning and Development Committee meeting.

Reach Vincent Bradshaw at [email protected] and Matt Presser at [email protected].