Preservation Group Includes Evanston On ‘Endangered’ List

By Matt PresserThe Daily Northwestern

A statewide preservation organization named all Evanston historic landmarks in its Chicagoland Watch List of the most endangered buildings in the area at a press conference Wednesday.

Landmarks Illinois, a non-profit agency created in 1971, pinpointed Evanston’s collection of historical buildings as one of twelve Chicago-area sites at risk of demolition. The list is designed to complement the organization’s yearly “Ten Most Endangered Historic Places in Illinois,” a compilation of statewide sites identified as requiring attention from local preservation activists.

“Evanston’s listing is a little bit unusual because instead of having one particular property on the list, we phrased it as all Evanston landmarks,” said Eiliesh Tuffy, the organization’s director of preservation programs.

The group placed Evanston on its list for a number of reasons, Tuffy said, starting with a 2004 transaction between Evanston and Northwestern regarding nine properties that NU wanted to remove from a historical district. After lengthy litigation, the buildings were eventually removed – in exchange for a $700,000 payment from NU – although Tuffy said she was unaware of the current status of these buildings.

Tuffy also cited the Kendall College situation, in which the Evanston City Council ruled against the Preservation Commission’s recommendations, electing to demolish the site.

Finally, Landmarks Illinois took issue with a council decision this year to demolish an Elmwood Avenue house built in the 1870s. The council chose to approve demolition of the property, over the Preservation Commission’s recommendation to keep the house standing.

“This building does not look like it’s going to fall in on itself,” Tuffy said. “This is just a city council that’s pro-development, disregarding its own preservation ordinance and the recommendation of its own staff.”

Ald. Stephen Bernstein (4th), in whose ward the Elmwood Avenue house lies, said the house is “falling down.”

“It’s wonderful when you can keep properties,” he said, “but when properties outlive their useful lives you’ve got to move on.”

Mary Brugliera, secretary of the Preservation Commission, said the commission’s time is mostly spent reviewing plans for porch additions and kitchen renovations, not dealing with historical issues.

“We pretty much agree with the landmarks being on the endangered list,” said Brugliera, Weinberg ’57. “There’s been an interesting shift of attitude among citizens in Evanston, who 25 years ago were very enthusiastic about preservation. Now it’s become unimportant … We’re discouraged about this (new) attitude.”

Tuffy said if residents fail to get involved, Evanston could look drastically different 10 years from now.

“Unless the city council is really taken to task and the pressure is put on them to listen to their professional staff and adhere to their professional recommendations, you (will) see a really drastic change in the landscape of Evanston,” Tuffy said. “It’s really the premise: nothing is safe (in Evanston).”

Reach Matt Presser at [email protected].