New cereal-serving restaurant expects to bowl over Evanston

Bookstores, gyms and trendy accessory shops. Evanston’s already got them all.

But when Sherman Plaza opens later this year, at least one business will offer something unique: cereal.

Cereality Cereal Bar and Cafe plans to open its second Chicago-area location in late summer at Sherman Plaza, the development now under construction on Davis Street between Sherman and Benson avenues. With more than 30 different cereal varieties and 40 different toppings, Cereality will join other chain stores such as Barnes & Noble, LA Fitness and Pier 1 Imports, all of which will move into the 25-story residential and commercial complex.

“We love Evanston because it has such a different type of cross section of people coming to the sites – obviously college students, but also families and tourists and professionals and teenagers,” said Cereality’s co-founder and Chief Executive Officer David Roth. “It offers us that sort of urban pulse, but also a suburban marketplace as well.”

The company opened its first store at Arizona State University in 2003 and has expanded to two sites in Pennsylvania and one in Chicago’s Loop at 100 S. Wacker Dr. After receiving many inquiries about franchising, Cereality plans to do just that, with its new Evanston store playing a key role in the expanding chain.

“We have an extraordinary amount of demand, and we’re involved in organizing that process now,” he said. “We’re constantly inventing new ways to get cereal to people.”

Why cereal? Roth and co-founder Rick Bacher worked together as marketing consultants and noticed a trend of more people munching on cereal, from people on “Wall Street snacking on Cocoa Puffs to moms pushing strollers, carrying bags of Cheerios.”

Roth describes the store as a “kitchen