Increased taxi fees reflect high gas prices

Just because many students don’t have cars of their own doesn’t mean they’re exempt from pain at the gas pump.

Local taxi and delivery companies are facing higher costs, and some are being driven to tack on extra charges on anything requiring gas, from delivering flowers to delivering people.

At NorShore Cab Association, a $2 surcharge was added about a month ago because of rising gas prices, according to Walter Wolff, the company’s president.

“Like all commercial industries, we’re hurting just like anyone else,” he said. “It costs us a lot more to go to O’Hare or Midway because of the gas (prices).”

With the new charge, customers pay $28 to get to O’Hare and $45 to get to Midway. Wolff said it’s the first time he’s had to add such a surcharge in 25 years, but customers seem to understand.

“They’ve got to put more gas in their cars and their gas is going up just like anyone else’s,” he said. “It’s a long way from where it was, (but) it’s been working, as far as the drivers that I’ve talked to.”

The Evanston-based taxi company isn’t alone in its decision to raise prices.

American Taxi Dispatch Inc., which serves 200 Chicago suburbs, has added a 10 percent surcharge to its flat rate rides.

“We know that you have to be competitive, but you also have to be on time and flexible and accessible as a company,” said General Manager Dan Coyne. “When people need you, you have to be there. There’s really no substitute for service.”

With the 10 percent surcharge, American charges $27.50 to drive to O’Hare and about $47.30 to drive to Midway.

“We’re in line with our competitors, probably a couple dollars more or less than anyone else,” he said.

The company has also begun to invest in vehicles that get more gas mileage, such as the Toyota Scion xB. Their fleet of nearly 800 cabs includes three xB’s, which Coyne said get between 30 and 40 miles per gallon on average.

“We’re looking at better-mileage vehicles in the future to circumvent escalating fuel prices,” Coyne said. “We’re really serious about it.”

Other local businesses imposed delivery charges prior to the gas price hike.

Evanston 1st Liquors, 1019 Davis St., has charged a $3 delivery fee on a minimum $15 order since it opened 21 years ago, according to Hiren Patel, the store’s manager. There are currently no plans to increase this fee, he said.

At FlowersFlowers, 524 Dempster St., owner Joanne Leiman said the $6 delivery charge on a minimum $40 order to Evanston addresses no longer covers the cost of delivery.

“Whenever I get flowers delivered to me or supplies and such, they are charging me more,” Leiman said. “I am being charged more in all of my deliveries, but I have decided not to pass that along as long as I can.”

While her suppliers increase prices, Leiman said she is trying to absorb added fees into her other costs.

“I know everybody is being hit by (increasing gas prices) in every different direction, so at this point I’m trying not to raise (my prices),” she said.

Reach Matt Presser at [email protected].