Committee discusses condo plan at meeting

In a city where proposed condominiums overflow agendas, most developers leave city meetings needing to completely rework their designs.

This wasn’t the case Wednesday afternoon at a Site Plan and Appearance Review Committee meeting for a 40-unit condominium building planned for southeastern Evanston. Aside from minor suggestions, the committee only gave compliments to developer Bob Horner and architects from Chicago-based Proteus Group for the building’s “handsome design.”

The building, planned for 510 Sheridan Rd., will replace a four-story, 37-unit complex constructed in the 1960s. It is located just north of Calvary Cemetery, 301 Chicago Ave.

“We believe the building that exists there is nearing the end of its economic life,” Horner said. “Something has to be done with it.”

After consulting with Design Evanston and Ald. Melissa Wynne (3rd), the developers presented the committee with a diagram of a building that they said “incorporated many of their suggestions.”

“(The design is for) a new, better-looking building,” Horner said.

Horner said if it is approved, it would take at least 18 months to begin construction.

Horner also said he expected to make a contribution to the city’s affordable housing fund but had not yet determined an amount.

The development will be presented to the Plan Commission before it can appear before the City Council.

– Matt Presser