As costs of fuel and security rise, Metra increases train fares

Metra passengers are paying higher train fares after the commuter rail service increased prices last week for the first time in about four years.

The rates for one-way, 10-ride and monthly passes rose about five percent on Feb. 1, Metra spokesman Patrick Waldron said.

Because Metra uses a zoned fare structure, the exact increase depends on the distance traveled.

Northwestern students who use the Davis Street Metra station to go into downtown Chicago, for example, now will pay $3.05. That’s 15 cents more than before, a Metra customer service representative said.

The increases came because of rising fuel costs and security expenses in the wake of Sept. 11, Waldron said.

“Of course, nobody likes to pay more for anything, and the Metra doesn’t enjoy raising its prices for its commuters,” he said.

“But, on the whole, we believe most commuters will agree that Metra remains a very good deal and an excellent bargain for commuters coming in from the suburbs to downtown.”

The Chicago Transit Authority raised its fares Jan. 1 to $2 up from $1.75, citing increasing fuel expenses. CTA also eliminated 25-cent transfers for cash-paying bus customers during last month’s rate changes.

Metra opened seven new stations during the last two weeks of January on the North Central, Union Pacific West and Southwest service lines. The new stations are part of a $508 million expansion project that also added several trains to the system.

Many of the passengers who were waiting for the train at the Davis Street Station Wednesday morning were unaware of the rate increase, which is the first since 2002.

Andrew Stern, a 55-year-old Evanston businessman, waited for the Metra to take him to North Chicago to visit a client Wednesday afternoon. The trip cost him $3.90, an additional 20 cents.

“It is already as expensive as it should be,” he said. “It has increased significantly in the last five years, and I just don’t see why it should be going up again. It’s unnecessary.”

Reach Matt Presser at [email protected].