NU defense finally forcing turnovers

Northwestern coaches and players preached about it for weeks. And it finally happened.

While the Wildcats’ offense continued to hit its stride with another blistering performance, NU’s 49-48 double-overtime victory came with a little help from the defense in a once-barren department: turnovers.

With his team down by 21 points, and only 17 minutes left in the game, junior linebacker Malcolm Arrington brought his big-play capability to the table for the second straight week. After a blocked punt against Michigan State, Arrington snagged an errant throw by Minnesota freshman quarterback Adam Weber, setting up a momentum change that would bring the Cats out of their mid-game lull.

“I was just chomping down in zone coverage,” Arrington said. “That’s what we’ve been taught and I’ve just been doing my job. I got lucky enough that the quarterback threw the ball to me.”

But there was a little offense mixed in Arrington’s defensive play. Arrington played both sides of the ball in high school, starring as a linebacker and tailback at Orchard Lake St. Mary’s Prep in Rochester, Mich. His open-field skills came back to life Saturday, when he returned the ball 27 yards to set up NU’s first score since early in the second quarter.

“He’s got really good hands, and he’s really starting to come into his own,” NU coach Pat Fitzgerald said. “I’m proud of the way Malcolm is playing. He’s grown.”

Arrington’s interception led to contagious success late, as the Cats forced another turnover on a tipped pass later in the fourth quarter, which was snagged by sophomore defensive end Corey Wootton. The two picks were just the third and fourth interceptions for the Cats this season.

As the NU offense continues to find its identity in the 580-610 yards per game territory, the defense will be pressed hard to keep pace. Arrington said his unit will continue to work on making the same plays it made Saturday.

“As a defense, we can’t depend on the offense to outscore the opponent every week,” he said. “Lately we have been doing that. We have to step up and it’s definitely a gut check.”

ROLLER-COASTER WEEK

As his offense continued its midseason surge, coordinator Garrick McGee’s thoughts were focused elsewhere for most of the week. McGee took the field Saturday just three days after his father Larry died of cancer Larry McGee served as the football coach at Booker T. Washington High School for nine seasons in the 1980s, posting a 90-22 record before retiring after the 1989 season.

“It’s been a real tough year for him and his family,” Fitzgerald said. “A very emotional time.”

McGee rejoined the team Friday after returning home to Tulsa, Okla., to spend time with his family, and took the field Saturday. The Cats’ offense has racked up more than 1,200 yards in its last two games.

His players showed nothing but gratitude for their coach’s effort.

“I don’t think words can describe how he was feeling,” C.J. Bacher said. “He really called a great game today, so much adversity he’s facing. We’re proud of him, and he’s proud of us.”

INCHES TO GO

Linebacker Eddie Simpson returned from a leg injury that kept him out of action for five weeks. Simpson tipped the pass that was intercepted by Wootton. … The Cats have only turned the ball over one time in their four wins. They’ve committed 10 in their three losses … NU has allowed only one sack the last two games after surrendering 16 in its first five games … After converting on his first seven field-goal attempts, kicker Amado Villarreal has misssed his last three kicks.

Reach Chris Gentilviso at [email protected].