Seniors stepping up (Women’s Soccer)

Northwestern head coach Stephanie Erickson impressed in her rookie season, with four wins against Big Ten opponents and a trip to the Big Ten tournament.

And with the Wildcats improving on last season’s non-conference record with a 5-2-2 start to the season, there is no sign of a sophomore slump.

“We’ve had a good start to the season and we’re definitely seeing progress,” Erickson said. “We’ve already improved since last season and we’re looking forward to our conference matches.”

NU has employed a 4-3-3 formation this season in most of its non-conference matches. Seniors Kelsey Hans and Shannon Schneeman have excelled in their roles, leading the attacking line and the midfield.

The Cats began the season with a Schneeman goal giving them a 1-0 win against DePaul. They followed this with a 1-0 win against Drake and a 2-0 loss against Nebraska.

The loss against Nebraska was followed by NU’s six-match unbeaten streak, which ended Sunday with a 1-0 loss to Wright State.

“Every team has its ups and downs,” senior goalkeeper Lauren Johnston said. “It’s adversity and we have to get through it by focusing and by working hard as a team.”

During the unbeaten streak, Hans racked up a series of records.

With her goal in the Cats’ 3-0 win over Loyola, she became the highest goal scorer in NU history, passing Erickson’s record of 29 career goals.

“It was good for her to get that out of the way,” Erickson said. “It’s the job of the forwards to score goals and she’s doing that pretty well right now.”

In NU’s 3-0 demolition of Saint Francis, Hans scored again to become NU’s all-time career points leader, with 76 points.

“She’s started well this season,” Schneeman said. “It was a less of a surprise and more of an expectation though and I hope she goes on to have a great season ahead and score a lot more goals.”

NU has allowed eight goals in the 10 games this season and a new-look defense has made a sparkling start to the campaign.

Senior goalkeeper Lauren Johnston said she was impressed with the way the defenders have performed this season.

“Our defenders are really great this year and have a little bit more experience,” Johnston said. ‘We’ve been focusing on tightening up on the little things and that’s made us a better defensive unit.”

There has been more depth in some positions than there was last year and the team has managed a strong start to the season despite injuries to junior Jeanette Lorme and sophomores Zendzi Neal and Leigh Jakes.

“One thing that’s changed is depth,” Schneeman said. “Our bench is really strong and we can stay consistent even by bringing players in off the bench.”

The defense this year has been without Schneeman, who was pushed into the defense last year. Back in her role in the center of midfield, the change has reaped immediate dividends with the versatile Schneeman already scoring six goals.

“I’ll do whatever it takes for the team to improve and I’ll fill whatever role I have to,” Schneeman said. “I started here as a midfielder and I like getting forward so it’s good to be playing there again.”

Erickson’s team remains focused on the conference match this weekend against Indiana – a team that will be gunning for revenge after being upset by the Cats last season.

“They’ve had a great start and are 6-1-1 so far,” Erickson said. “It’s a good match-up for us to start with on the road. I know they’re gonna try and attack us and we’re gonna attack them so it should be a good match.”

Reach Pritish Behuria at [email protected].