Chicago is more than just downtown

Chicago is a city of neighborhoods. That’s what sets this city apart from all the rest: 77 neighborhoods, each with a distinct feel, a distinct style. And while Evanston does have a distinct feel – white, lackluster, pretentious and overpriced – as well as a distinct style – crass consumerism and whatever the latest trends are – Evanston doesn’t make the cut. It’s officially the first suburb to the north. And gets treated as such.

The gates to the city close at 1 or 2 a.m. to keep out the riff-raff, which means there is no public transportation unless it’s to an early dinner with Grandma or out with that underage-curfew-abiding girl you picked up the previous week.

Whatever your means of transportation, there are certain areas downtown that you should know about within a few months of enrolling at Northwestern. This is a short list – only the most essential made the cut – but I encourage you to visit as many of the neighborhoods as you can. It is, of course, biased; but when you write the article next year, put whatever you want in. You can claim the suburb of Skokie with its pathetic strip malls the hippest nearby hangout.

LAKEVIEWThe Stops: Red line to Addison or Belmont.

The Scene: This is a large neighborhood and depending on where you go, you’re going to find a different group of people with different senses of style. But no matter where you are in Lakeview – as long as you’re not lighting pride flags or bashing the goth/emo look – you should feel accepted.

The Sights: Ditch a class and catch an afternoon baseball game at Wrigley Field. Leave your White or Red Sox paraphernalia in the dorm. Snicker at the multitude of sex shops, watch a drag show and then get something pierced at The Alley, a store at the Belmont and Clark intersection that features an entire room of leather outfits.

THE LOOPThe Stops: Any train will get you there eventually. The best, though, would be to take the Red Line. It neatly bisects the Loop, so get off between State/Lake and Jackson to explore.

The Scene: The area real Chicagoans are referencing when they say ‘downtown.’ Named for the shape the El tracks make around the area, the Loop is the second most significant financial district in the U.S. after Wall Street; all of the suits will remind you of that. The Loop is bordered by the Chicago River on the north and west side, Michigan on the east and Roosevelt to the south.

The Sights: Know the area, go to see the structures that started and continue to influence what is modern architecture, but don’t expect there to be anything after business hours. Most restaurants and shops close a few hours after the 5 p.m. rush to catch the trains. On weekends, the sidewalks are home to lost and starry-eyed tourists who can’t find Michigan Avenue.

WICKER PARKThe Stops: Blue line to Damen or Western.

The Scene: Yes, this is where they filmed the Chicago season of ‘The Real World.’ No, you shouldn’t bring that up when you go there. Once known as the artist’s haven of the city’s northwest side, Wicker Park – while it still maintains some of that creative vibe – has slowly turned into the neighborhood filled with people who want to live among the artists and who wish they had been on MTV. Don your overpriced Urban Outfitters printed tee, squeeze your junk into some carefully-ripped jeans and slide the checkered vans on to fit into this very meticulously constructed hipster enclave and nobody will give you a second look. Because it’s not cool to notice.

The Sights: Stop by Blue Fin for a hip sushi meal or Earwax, a hipster caf