Top ten people to know at Northwestern

1. Henry S. Bienen, NU presidentBienen came to NU in 1995, leaving his post at Princeton University as dean of the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. His academic work focused on comparative politics, civic-military relations and foreign policy. Bienen can be an elusive figure, rarely seen by students in between the President’s Convocation freshman year and commencement. His wife, Leigh, is a senior lecturer at NU’s law school.

2. Evanston Mayor Lorraine MortonAn Evanston resident since 1953, Evanston’s elderly mayor is petite but mighty. Serving since 1993, Morton was elected to her fourth mayoral term in 2005. She has taught in several Evanston schools and served as a town alderman. She can be seen every other Monday, leading the City Council through discussions on beekeeping, Dutch Elm disease and affordable housing. 3. Evanston Police Chief Richard Eddington and Northwestern University Police Chief Bruce LewisHopefully unneeded to most students, Evanston’s two police chiefs lead their departments to protect residents, students and their property. Eddington came to EPD in January from neighboring Mount Prospect, Ill. Most crimes are minor robberies, car burglaries or noise-ordinance-violating parties in the student apartment areas, but the two chiefs have faced a handful of major crimes, working together when incidents happen near campus.

4. Ald. Cheryl Wollin, First WardWollin represents sections of central Evanston, including downtown and most of the NU campus. The campus constituency sparked a lawsuit from her 2004 aldermanic opponent Judy Fiske over dorms that offered incentives to students for voting. The lawsuit was dismissed last year, leaving Wollin to return to conflicts between the university and city officials over the school’s tax-exempt status. Wollin, a professor at Oakton Community College, is serving her first term for the First Ward, but previously served as Seventh Ward alderman.

5. University spokesman Al CubbageCubbage serves as the voice of the university, creating the official comments when campus incidents or major controversies occur. Another elusive face to many students, his statements to campus and local media provide much of the regular communication between the administration and the student body.

6. Football Head Coach Pat FitzgeraldFitzgerald, lovingly known to students and in headlines as “Fitz,” has lead the Wildcats since last summer, when former Head Coach Randy Walker died of a heart attack. At age 31, Fitz is the youngest head coach in Division I history, rising to the top slot after playing on the 1995 team that appeared in the Rose Bowl and serving as a defensive line coach. His first season was marked by a series of setbacks, including a minor controversy over students attempting to revive a tradition of throwing marshmallows on the field and a Michigan State match that earned the Spartans the biggest comeback in Big Ten history.

7. Krysta Kauble and Tara Corrigan, Dance Marathon co-chairs Dance Marathon, known as DM, begins a public relations blitz before New Student Week that ends with the 30-hour dance party in March. Communication seniors Kauble and Corrigan, with their 20-person executive board, are responsible for more than $700,000, which will be donated to the Bear Necessities Pediatric Cancer Foundation and the Evanston Community Foundation.

8. Vice President for Student Affairs William Banis Banis’ name came to the attention of many students during last school year when the university launched a plan to increase dorm security by limiting access to only a dorm’s main doors. The plan was a response to several dorm intrusions, and put in place amid overwhelming student opposition. The administrator drew criticism from students for implementing the plan after an ASG poll that said 90 percent of students did not support the new measure. Banis led conversations with students about the changes, and was involved in deciding on 14 exemptions, including the six side doors at the massive Foster-Walker Complex.

9. Jonathan Webber, Associated Student Government presidentThe founder of NUOnlineBooks, a Web site offering an alternative place to purchase textbooks, Webber took office in the spring after narrowly defeating opponent Weinberg senior Julian Hill. Webber, a Weinberg senior, previously served as speaker of the Senate and was a senator for Allison Hall. He campaigned on a “24-day plan,” and promised to make ASG more accountable and action-oriented. Although Webber finished only about half of his 24-day agenda in that time period, he and other ASG members are moving forward with several plans, such as providing a resource room in Norris University Center for student groups.

10. Dennis Griffen, EvanstonWith his friendly comments and smile, Griffen, a homeless resident, quickly becomes figure to students as they walk through downtown. With his dreadlocks, Griffen is easily recognizable outside of CVS or Starbucks, often complimenting students or just telling them to have a nice day. He has been a speaker several times on campus, telling about his experiences and making friends with a new year of students.- Compiled by Laura Olson