Stepping out of your comfort zone is key

So somehow, I’ve been assigned the duty of bestowing some sort of wisdom upon the class of 2011. I’ve been racking my brain and mulling over the experiences of the past three years, trying to figure out if there’s anything truly inspiring or helpful that I could tell you as you prepare to embark on the journey that is surviving college.And after all that pondering, the only thing I can really tell you is to be open. Incredibly vague, I know. So let me explain what I mean.A few years ago, I arrived in Evanston, Ill., with the majority of my prized possessions in tow, completely scared out of my mind. Of course I was excited and nervous, but mainly, I was terrified. I’m from a small town (in the middle of nowhere) in Texas and had never been out of the state for an extended period of time. What I had I gotten myself into?For those of you that already come equipped with big city savvy, I applaud you. But for the rest of you who may or may not be doubting your decision to move across state lines or clear across the country, you need to know that you’re not a big baby for being a little freaked out. It’s totally normal.And so, upon getting here, what was the first thing I did? Look for people who were almost, if not exactly, like me.Being Hispanic, I fled to the Multicultural Center in hopes of finding other fluent Spanish speakers who felt like they had just been thrown through a loop.This reaction is also understandable. You want to find the familiar because it’s comfortable and safe. I’m here to tell you that it’s okay. If you’re from New York or California, you’ll look for others that are too. If English isn’t your primary language at home, there’s plenty of people here that are on the same boat. To want to hang out with them is normal. But, what’s not okay is if you only ever stick with the familiar and refuse to get to know anyone different or new. Because going out of your comfort zone (as cheesy as this is going to sound) is what college is all about.So don’t be afraid to strike up a conversation with someone you don’t really know out of fear that you’ll be snubbed. Just turn to you left at your first class, smile and start talking. It can be scary for some, but you’re never going to know if you don’t try. That person could end up being one of your best friends.If you don’t like the random approach, pick out someone for a certain reason. Say hello to the girl with the crazy amazing shoes in your morning lecture (and ask her where you can buy a pair). Stop and say hi to the guy wearing a shirt with your favorite band’s logo on it. Whatever you do, don’t sit in the back of the class and avoid others or wait for someone to come up to you. Sometimes, it’s all about making the first move.That’s what I mean when I say “be open.” I’m sorry if I disappointed you guys or you immediately thought, “Well, I already knew that. Don’t need a random senior to remind me” upon reading this. But out of everything I’ve learned since coming to NU, this is at the top of my “Most Important Lessons Learned” list. While yes, I did initially seek out other Hispanics, I was able to move past that, and through several different and random ways, became friends with an eclectic bunch. Through differences and disagreements, I’ve managed to stay friends with them, regardless of how different or alike we are or have become. And I couldn’t imagine life at Northwestern any other way.Reach Dani Garcia at [email protected].