Buying textbooks? How to save money doing it

Let’s face it. College students pay a lot for textbooks. They cringe as employees scan book after book, watching their total purchase quickly climb into triple digits.But if students are savvy about where and when they buy their books, they can save time and money while avoiding frustration.The Norris University Center Bookstore and Beck’s Book Store, 17 Clark St., stock textbooks both new and used. They’re the two bookstores that cater directly to students; however, they have the longest lines during the first weeks of school, so it helps to be smart about when you shop.The Norris Bookstore allows you to reserve and buy books online so you get the books you need and don’t miss out on discounts. Buying used books is one of the best ways to cut textbook costs. Both bookstores offer a 25 percent discount on used books, but employees said supplies are limited. “Shop early for the best selection of used books,” said Beck’s Manager Nicole Kasputis, “Make sure, too, you have your course schedule – to get the exact books that you need.”While it’s good to shop early, it’s your choice to pick up your books right away or wait until after your first classes. The professor will hand out a syllabus and you’ll have a better idea of the difference between “recommended” and “required” – every instructor has his or her own definition of the terms.The bookstore employees urge students to be careful buying books from outside vendors. According to Charles Depondt, assistant manager and textbook manager at the Norris Center Bookstore, many professors use textbooks with specific imprints or editions. Evanston also has two national chain bookstores, Barnes & Noble and Borders. If you register for the stores’ member cards, you’ll get useful discounts, including coupons sent to your e-mail account. The NU student-created and operated Web site nuonlinebooks.com aims to make the search for textbooks as pain-free as possible. The Web site lists books by school, area of study and instructor, and makes it easy to find the cheapest books online.There are some easy ways to get the textbooks you need on the cheap:If you’re in a lecture-based class with a friend, share books. Yeah, it’s scheming and you’re sticking it to the Man, but it’s a great way to save money.Network with older students. There’s a good chance the sophomore who lives down the hall took Intro to Russian Lit class too, and he probably still has the books stuffed away somewhere.Use listservs wisely. Normally, you sign up for these student-run email groups for your dorm or residential college. If you’re signed up, it can’t hurt to send out an email or two asking if anyone has the textbooks you need. Don’t send too many emails, though – no one likes a full inbox.Use Facebook.com to your advantage. NU’s Facebook Marketplace is a great place to post requests for books and basically anything else.Beck’s Bookstore and the Norris Center Bookstore hire student workers during the year, and workers get in-store discounts. Aside from being good places to study/sleep, the NU Library and Evanston Public Library often have the books you need, and loan them out free of charge.And some final tips on buying books:If you’re ordering online, order early. Bookstore employees said they see a ton of students buying two copies of the same book because they ordered late, or can’t wait for the delivery date.Shop smart online. Make sure you order the right edition/imprint using the correct ISBN number.Both the NU bookstore and Beck’s let you return books for a full refund during the first few weeks of the quarter. That means it can’t hurt to buy the books you’re not sure you need, and return them after your first classes.Reach Matt Spector at [email protected].