New York City, from an Evanston perspective

First, a disclaimer: I’m not from New York. I’d only been to NYC twice before I decided to pack up and move here for the summer – being a typical Medildo, I had to get an internship in New York – and those visits were two weekends back in spring quarter, when I had to stay in my boyfriend’s apartment and do homework the entire time.That said, I’ve been here three weeks, and I’m happy to tell all the EV IL (EVanston, ILlinois) summer slummers you’re not missing that much.You’re not missing a non-air-conditioned apartment. (Although, lots of places in Evanston lack AC as well, so that might be a moot point.)You’re (probably) not suffering from an extreme lack of funds due to an insanely high cost of living. Moreover, you do not have to fret about constantly carrying around cash because no one in this damn city takes plastic.You don’t have to take a train 25 miles to go to a beach that’s not hideously polluted. I mean, Lake Michigan isn’t exactly the cleanest water, but have you seen the Hudson?You’re definitely not afraid to go beyond the numbered streets because the named streets are so confusing as to be labyrinthine. You’re not missing a morning commute that feels more like a Super Smash Brothers Melee match than an actual commute.Furthermore, you’re not missing the hideous stench that surrounds you as you’re getting gang-banged on the downtown 4, hoping you make it to Union Square before you pass out.Come to think of it, you’re also not missing the hideous stench that comes from all the garbage and dog crap roasting on the sidewalks. Tasty.However, you are missing the delightful Peruvian band that softly plays its pipes at the 51st St. stop, and the 6th Avenue Deli, which makes the most amazing roast beef sandwich I have ever tasted. Oh, and you’re missing out on some wonderful signage: “Do not block box. 2 points + fine.” “Wine on 1st.” “Do not honk. $350 fine.”So yeah, the city has its merits. There’s tons to do – if you’re bored, it’s your own fault – and there’s always the chance you’ll see someone like DeNiro or the kid who played Sharpay’s brother in High School Musical. And the subway is six times faster than the El. It’s also fun to laugh at all the annoying hipsters in Washington Square Park while watching the dogs galumph across the dog run.But there’s nothing like a sunny, breezy Chicago day on the Lakefill or at Millennium Park, knowing you can avoid all the lame tourists and hordes of regular people by simply not walking down Michigan Avenue. You don’t realize what a luxury that is until it’s gone.Reach Oriana Schwindt at [email protected].