Band Cancels Dillo Day Plans

By Marcy MirandaThe Daily Northwestern

Expected Dillo Day performer Motion City Soundtrack has cancelled its performance on Saturday, Mayfest organizers said.

Managers for the Minneapolis-based pop-rock band told event organizers that the band’s lead singer, Justin Pierre, was dealing with “medical problems,” and that the band would be cancelling its entire tour, said Liz Korutz, director of concerts for Mayfest and a Medill senior. The band’s Web site lists four tour dates in the United Kingdom starting in June and 17 dates in the U.S. for the rest of the summer, including an appearance at Lollapalooza on Aug. 4.

Before they received the notice, Mayfest organizers were still planning for three of the band’s members to perform an acoustic set around 1:30 p.m., said Korutz, a former Daily staffer. Festival organizers still plan on having an act perform at that time.

Korutz said Mayfest is “exploring other options” and is working on an offer to a more well-known band. She declined to disclose the band’s name but said Mayfest is hoping for the band to confirm the performance today.

“If it works out, I think this band will have a wider appeal than Motion City,” she said. “This act could generate a substantial amount of buzz.”

McCormick sophomore and Motion City Soundtrack fan Allison Weil said she was upset about hearing of the band’s cancellation.

“I was really looking forward to seeing them,” Weil said, adding that Saturday would have been her first time seeing Motion City Soundtrack live. She said she had purchased tickets to see the band last year but had to sell them after a last-minute conflict arose.

Reach Marcy Miranda at

[email protected].