State Grant Helps City Hire Sustainable Programs Coordinator

By Annie MartinThe Daily Northwestern

For Carolyn Collopy, caring about the environment is much more than her career – it’s part of her lifestyle.

“For as long as I can remember it’s been on my mind,” she said. “I try to live my life as simply as possible, and I want to make as little impact on the environment as possible.”

As Evanston’s first sustainable programs coordinator, Collopy will work to make the city as environmentally sound as possible. Although the new position presents many challenges, Collopy said every city has to start somewhere.

“My intention is to assess what the city is doing in terms of sustainability,” she said. “Once we figure out where we are, I’ll work with each department to help us become a greener city.”

The city created Collopy’s post after receiving a state grant of $75,000 earmarked for funding programs that are environmentally friendly.

Previously, Collopy worked as the program manager of residential programs at the Midwest Energy Efficiency Alliance Chicago, a non-profit agency that uses policies and programs to increase energy efficiency regionwide. She also served as a program coordinator for the Office of Sustainable Development in Portland, Ore.

During her four years in Portland, the office grew significantly, Collopy said. She worked with city staff and community members on a green building program to develop the mission of the office.

“What we do and who we are now affects the entire planet,” Collopy said. “In many cities and states, people are stepping up and making a lot of noise.”

A few of the issues Collopy will tackle in Evanston are water conservation, waste reduction and recycling.

During her first year, Collopy will also work to earn cost-saving grants and gain recognition in the community to increase the longevity of her position.

Long-term, Collopy said she would like to see Evanston gradually become more environmentally sound.

“The future is wide open, and that’s very exciting,” Collopy said. “In addition to meeting with different groups in Evanston, I’m going to be working on building partnerships in the community.”

Although Evanston is not a huge city, Collopy said it can have a large positive or negative impact on the environment.

“In Evanston, a city of maybe 75,000, what we do matters,” Collopy said. “It’s important to make sure this beautiful city is just as beautiful in 10 or 100 years.”

Evanston City Manager Julia Carroll said she had high hopes for Collopy and her new position.

“I’m certain with her experience and background, she will be a great asset to the city,” Carroll said. “We’re hoping she can turn Evanston into the greenest city in Illinois.”

Reach Annie Martin [email protected].