Filming For ‘The Express’ To Continue Across Campus

By Abha BhattariThe Daily Northwestern

Crews for “The Express” will be filming outside Sargent Hall, Annie May Swift Hall, and the Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Phi Gamma Delta Greek houses today.

“The Express,” which is being filmed partially at Ryan Field, tells the story of the first black football player to win the Heisman trophy. Filming at Northwestern began Friday and will continue for the next couple of weeks, said Dave Fulton, the film’s publicist.

Filming at Sargent is scheduled to end by 8:45 a.m. but will continue at other campus locations throughout the day, said Mary Jane Twohey, director of broadcast relations for NU.

All of the filming will take place outside and will mostly consist of “talking and walking shots,” Fulton said.

The parking lot west of Sargent was closed Sunday evening and is scheduled to reopen at 9 a.m. today.

Sargent’s main entrance is scheduled to be closed from 4 a.m. until 8:30 a.m. today, but students will be able to use the building’s north doors. Door alarms will be deactivated during that time, but a security guard will be posted to keep residents safe for the duration of filming, said Paul Pavlica, assistant director of Residential Life.

Additionally, bike racks surrounding Sargent and Goodrich House have been removed until Wednesday.

Al Cubbage, vice president for university relations, said filmmakers are paying a nominal fee to film at NU, but that the university isn’t trying to make money from the film.

“We always try to be helpful to the Illinois Film Board without disrupting normal academic routines,” Cubbage said, adding that the university does not approve filming during reading and finals weeks.