Community Leaders Reflect On Evanston’s Environmental Policy

By Annie MartinThe Daily Northwestern

Evanston has taken several measures in the last year to reduce the city’s harmful impact on the environment, said City Manager Julia Carroll during the city’s Earth Month Forum on Sunday.

“I intend for sustainability to become a permanent part of Evanston,” Carroll said. “I want it to become a part of our culture.”

Clean Air Counts, a Chicago region clean air initiative, promoted the city to a silver rating from a bronze in January, largely because of a program that pays residents, who sell the city their environmentally harmful lawn care tools and supplies, such as gas-powered lawn mowers, Caroll said.

The city also purchases 20 percent wind energy for all of its city buildings and the city’s trucks now use a 20 percent blend of biodiesel. Additionally, the city has recycling programs for computers and printer cartridges and almost all traffic signals now use light-emitting diodes rather than traditional lights.

“One year ago was the first time I really focused on what the issues are,” Carroll said of the progress the city has made since last year’s forum.

Dave Cieslewicz, the mayor of Madison, Wis., presented his “Healthy City” plan, which he said allows the city to encourage development and become more environmentally sound at the same time.

“A sustainable city recognizes the needs of the environment and the economy and balances both,” Cieslewicz said.

The changes Madison has made include reductions in electricity and natural gas use by adopting safer cleaning products and installing LED traffic signals. He also said the city encourages “new urbanism”: neighborhood plans that are more dense and conducive to public transportation.

“One of the best things you can do as an environmentalist is to create a dense living area,” Cieslewicz said. “Cities are good. Some of the best environmentalists live in New York City. Just by living in the city, you will have a smaller footprint than someone who lives in the country.”

Most importantly, Cieslewicz said, a city needs to have a clear idea of its goals and how to reach them.

“It’s important for a community to have a unified idea,” Cieslewicz said. “What are we striving for? We want to be the healthiest city in every way.”

Evanston resident Barbara Putta said she has already replaced the light bulbs in her house with more energy-efficient ones and purchased a hybrid car. She also said she rides her bike or walks instead of driving when possible.

“(I’m interested in) local initiatives to save the environment,” Putta said. “Working locally is probably the most effective thing we can do to help prevent climate change.”

Reach Annie Martin at [email protected].