Four Former Cats Await NFL Future (NFL Draft)

By Chris GentilvisoThe Daily Northwestern

Excellent timed speed. Height and bulk adequate. Durability a major concern.

Since Northwestern’s 27-16 victory over Illinois on Senior Day last season, thoughts of scouting reports have inundated the minds of four former Wildcats who hope to make the pros.

But with the NFL Draft set to begin Saturday, the focus has shifted from those reports to one thing: the potential realization of a lifelong dream.

Five years after redshirting his freshman season, wide receiver Shaun Herbert will be in a familiar setting come Saturday – a class for graduate school.

But while the he continues pursuing his master’s degree in the school’s sports administration program, Herbert said his vision of a future in professional football has never swayed.

Herbert finished his college career with 168 receptions for 1,926 yards and nine touchdowns. He caught a pass in his final 36 games with the Cats.

“It’s been something I’ve wanted to do my entire life,” said Herbert, who ranks third on NU’s all-time receiving yards list. “I’ve always wanted to play in the NFL. That’s been the driving force.”

But the drive to compete doesn’t come without barriers, as linebacker Nick Roach saw first-hand.

Entering his 45th game with the Cats, Roach had registered 241 tackles, primed to finish his college career on the wish list of several teams.

Looking to make his next tackle, Roach’s draft ambitions took a huge hit. Against Michigan State, he suffered a season-ending broken leg, in a game which escalated into college football’s all-time biggest collapse.

While several scouts have labeled the linebacker as “fragile”, he described the reports as a necessary part of the game.

“Teams have to do it,” he said. “Being a football player is one thing. Getting somebody who you can employ to do a job is another thing.”

But in making the jump from college football once a week to a pro football living, the players’ actual time on the football field has been minimal.

Since the middle of March, the former Cats have been traveling men, jetting across the nation at the mercy of NFL teams considering them as selections. From signing with agents to filling out stat sheets, cornerback Marquice Cole labeled it as a totally different game.

“It’s a lot of off-the-field games,” Cole said. “After that last game, it’s nothing on the field. People just want to know how fast and how strong you are.”

Cole intercepted seven passes over his final two seasons and also served as the Cats’ primary punt returner over that span.

Plagued with nagging injuries his senior season, Cole revived his pro prospect status with his speed, registering a 4.33 in the 40-yard dash at NU’s pro timing day back on March 29.

In the past 30 days, while Cole’s times have remained steady, the intensity of the waiting game has risen.

Offensive lineman Ryan Keenan said his solution to that game has been to stay pumped, while keeping his visions off the draft itself.

Keenan, who came to NU as a defensive lineman, switched over to the offensive line in the middle of his sophomore season and became one of the Cats’ most consistent players. In his career, he started 24 games at guard and tackle.

His offseason schedule included a trip to the 2007 Hula Bowl, along with rigorous training to improve skills, ranging from upper body strength to footwork.

But when he received calls from two NFL teams Wednesday asking for his Draft day contact information, reality hit home.

“I’m trying to keep my mind off of it,” Keenan said. “But it really put things into perspective that the day is almost here. It’s exciting.”

When Saturday comes, Herbert and Roach will be in class. Keenan will be with friends and family in his hometown outside Cleveland. Cole will attend the birthday party of his girlfriend’s 5-year-old niece.

As for the reaction to their name being called, all four said it didn’t matter which team chose them, as long as they got a chance.

“Beggars can’t be choosers,” Roach said. “You’re just hoping that you gave your best impression.”

Reach Chris Gentilviso at [email protected].