Sutton Capable Of Leading Wildcats (Spring Football)

Two years ago he earned recognition, rushing for 1,474 yards and earning First-Team Freshman All-America honors.

Last year he earned credability, fighting through drastically reduced carries and injuries all over his body to put together his second straight 1,000-yard season … just barely.

This year, Tyrell Sutton has earned the right to tell other people what to do.

“It’s caused me to mature a lot and to help a lot of the younger guys out,” Sutton said. “Freshman year and sophomore year, I felt as if I really didn’t have to. But now I know exactly what I have to do and what my role is on this team.”

All of Sutton’s crutches are gone: There’s no Brett Basanez to lead Northwestern’s offense. There’s not even a Shaun Herbert.

This year, it will be Sutton’s show.

The heady days of the “Suttometer,” The Daily’s weekly watch on Sutton’s stat totals during his first year in purple and white, seem like just yesterday.

But the reality is the junior running back is now one of the most experienced players on the Cats’ offense.

“It’s scary,” Sutton said. “I’m halfway done already.”

Coach Pat Fitzgerald has seen the changes in Sutton.

Fitzgerald said Sutton has been giving his all since the team returned from winter break in January. All the reps in the weight room. All the drills on the field. All effort, all the time.

But most importantly, Sutton has realized it’s not his job to be everybody’s friend anymore.

“Being a leader is not about being a politician,” Fitzgerald said. “He’s not running for office and he’s not running for votes.”

Besides taking over a leadership role for NU’s offense, Sutton also figures to take on a larger role in the offensive gameplan, especially if the Cats learned their lesson from the stalling, quarterback draw/option offense they clung to until the end of October last season.

Despite a toe injury and Fitzgerald’s proclamation that “nobody’s a one,” junior quarterback C.J. Bach