NU Falters At Indiana Tournament (Women’s Golf)

Franklin Kao

By Franklin KaoThe Daily Northwestern

A famous golf course and a windy climate under a frigid Midwest sky created a memorable tournament experience for Northwestern earlier this week.

But it also led to some faulty play.

NU’s women’s golf team finished sixth out of 17 teams at the Crooked Stick Golf Club in Carmel, Ind., on Tuesday. Although the team did not finish as well as they had hoped, playing on the highly esteemed course made the tournament an unforgettable experience.

“Playing this course was fantastic,”senior Heather Scholten said. “It was so visually pleasing to look at … It gives you even more motivation to work on your game … It was a lot of fun this weekend.”

Scholten finished 16th overall in the tournament with a 9-over 153 (79-74). Scholten’s push on Tuesday, a 2-over 74, led the Wildcats to move one spot ahead of their standing after Monday.

Although Scholten was the top NU golfer on Tuesday, the overall low score came from Lili Alvarez, who shot an 8-over 152 (74-78). Alvarez is a fifth year senior who transferred from Tulane University in the fall.

Alvarez was tied for second after Monday’s 2-over-par round of 74.

But the tournament was cut in half, from 36 to 18 holes, Monday due to bad weather.

Predicting that the winds would pick up and the temperature would drop, senior Alice Kim said that the team tried to prepare for the environment ahead of time.

“We came prepared … brought our layers … and we practiced last week in colder weather,” Kim said.

Regardless of the preparation, the weather made a difference in the Cats’ final scores.

Kim shot a 12-over 156, that included an 8-over 80 on Monday and finished 34th overall.

Junior Brittany Johnston was another NU golfer who had her shares of troubles with the weather.

Johnston was 15-over after Monday, but gracefully bounced back Tuesday and was 18-over 162 (87-75) in the end. Junior Katie Trachok on the other hand fared better Monday and ended up 14-over 158 (78-80).

After Monday’s chilly performance, the Cats were determined to come back with more fire for Tuesday.

“After Monday we all knew that we hadn’t competed as a team to the potential we were capable of,” Scholten said. “There were small adjustments we could make to improve our score … Frankly, (we) just (needed to) be a little bit more aggressive out there.”

The Cats are already looking forward to showcasing their new aggressive attitude in their next tournament in Columbus, Ohio, on April 21. That tournament, the Lady Buckeye Spring Invitational is the Cats’ final tournament before the Big Ten Championships.

Coach Chris Regenberg hopes to adjust her golfers to the style of play needed to compete on the Scarlet Course in Ohio. She said the team will also try to work out the kinks that popped up in Indiana.

“We need to practice on some firmer grasps, firmer facilities … faster courses,” Regenberg said. “(We need to) dial in on feel and touch. The longer game is in good shape; we just want to get the feel for the shorter game.”

These changes might help lower the Cats’ scores, but they can only hope they help raise the temperatures too.

Reach Franklin Kao at [email protected]