ASG Confirms New Appointments, Swears In President

By Elise Foley and Paul TakahashiThe Daily Northwestern

ASG senators swore in the newly elected executive officers during Wednesday night’s meeting.

SESP junior Jon Webber was sworn in as Associated Student Government president by outgoing president Jay Schumacher.

“I challenge you to rethink the role of student government,” Webber said to the Senate. “More than anything, you should take this as an opportunity to shape life on campus.”

Webber also said he looks forward to working with his opponent in the election, Julian Hill, a Weinberg junior, to improve ASG.

Schumacher addressed the Senate for the final time after Webber was confirmed.

“Four years, 110 Senate meetings and thousands of hours, it comes down to this moment,” the Communication senior said. “We tried to do the little things just a little bit better and hopefully, in the process, we made ASG a lot better.”

“Hopefully, I’m more than a buffalo chicken wrap, but that’s for you to decide,” Schumacher said, referring to his signature sandwich served at the Norris University Center Varsity Grill.

“You guys in this room, for some odd reason, believe you can make a difference,” he said. “I’m proud to say that we have.”

ASG senators also confirmed Ajay Singhvi to the final position on the ASG judicial board.

Singhvi, a Weinberg sophomore, beat out three other candidates vying for the position. Senators had been seeking candidates for this three-member board since the end of Winter Quarter.

Webber reminded senators that applications for positions on the executive committee will be posted on NU Link today.

The open positions are communications director, external relations director and technology director.

Reach Elise Foley at [email protected]. Reach Paul Takahashi at [email protected].