New Gloves, New Life (Baseball)

By Chris GentilvisoThe Daily Northwestern

Early in the season, Northwestern coach Paul Stevens’ defense was anything but set.

In their first 10 games, the Wildcats committed 33 errors, en route to a 2-8 start. With several injuries and continuing problems in the field, it was time for a change.

Heading into the bottom of the sixth in NU’s 10th game, a 10-3 loss to Army, the team had already committed five errors. Stevens was compelled to make five defensive switches. Most notably, sophomore Tommy Finn, who started 58 games at shortstop last season, moved over to second base. Freshman Kenneth Avila, who had struggled as a reserve at third base, was brought in to play short.

“As much as I didn’t want to make moves, I had to find a way to utilize the personnel that we have,” Stevens said.

Since those changes, the Cats have shored up their defensive play. Over the last 11 games, NU has cut its number of errors in half with 17. Despite the 4-7 record in those games, poor defense has been almost non-existent in the post-game recaps.

“That’s a huge security blanket for our pitchers and the coaching staff,” Stevens said. “The confidence out there defensively has come so far, it isn’t even funny.”

The March woes brought changes which extended even to the team’s elder members. After being named all-Big Ten at third base in his junior season, senior Caleb Fields told Stevens he had a desire to play outfield. Stevens fulfilled his wish, as Fields has made 19 starts this season in left and center fields.

But the skipper has continued to use Fields as a late-game replacement in the infield. In this past weekend’s series against Michigan, he was moved during two of the four games to shortstop – a position he played all four years in high school. With time at all three spots, he has committed only two errors this year.

“It’s not that I’m completely confident at all these positions, but I feel like I can play,” Fields said.

Several players attributed the defensive improvement to the athletic ability of NU’s infield. After starting 97 consecutive games at second base, junior Jake Owens was taken out of the Army game in the sixth. Two games later against Jacksonville State, he was penciled in at third base and hasn’t moved since.

“Versatility helps a lot with confidence in the field,” Owens said. “If you’ve made plays at a lot of positions, you don’t have to think as much. It becomes a natural thing.”

Despite an error in his first collegiate game at the hot corner, Owens went errorless in the next eight games, prior to committing two Saturday against Michigan.

For Finn, his defense has improved tremendously since his freshman campaign. After committing 19 errors last season, the infielder has committed just four this year. His .963 fielding percentage is tied with Fields for third best on the team.

“It comes down to being athletes,” said Finn of the change in position. “If you mess up, you mess up. It’s almost like it’s expected. There’s not that extra pressure.”

FROZEN OUT

Snow flurries and near-freezing temperatures prompted the cancellation of NU’s Wednesday afternoon game against Chicago State. The game has been rescheduled for 3 p.m. May 7 at Rocky Miller Park in Evanston.

“It would’ve been great to get a game in today, ” Owens said. “That’s the best way to practice – live pitching from new opponents. But on a day like today, with the situation we had, it was better to get a day off, get a couple of hacks and get ready for Indiana.”

The poor early April weather conditions will tighten NU’s schedule in early May. The Cats will play six games in five days: a four-game set at Minnesota, the make-up against Chicago State, followed by a Tuesday home affair with Illinois-Chicago.

Reach Chris Gentilviso at [email protected].