The NU Wildcat Manifesto

The history of all hitherto existing student apathy toward athletics is the history of Wildcats struggles.

Fanatic and Casual, Diehard and Bandwagon, in a word, Unwavering and Uninterested, were united only by the knowledge that, more than likely, Northwestern was going to lose. Or, at the least, its fan base was to be suffocated by that of the visiting opposition.

For too long have Cats fans been Krushed by Orange, has “Go U!” been trumped by “Go Blue!”, has NU been outnumbered by IU. Cheerleaders futilely lead chants of “C-A-T-S” only to see them silenced by roars of “O-H-I-O” and “I-O-W-A.” And while it is comforting to know that students at all Big Ten schools know how to spell, it would undoubtedly be gentler on the ears of Cats fans if the deafening cheers didn’t seem to be claiming Evanston for the visitor’s respective state.

It certainly does not help that the support of NU’s “fans” seems to flip-flop more than its lacrosse team. The true sign of NU’s fair-weather fandom came this year, when a hapless hoops squad played to a half-empty student section nearly every game. Now I am not advocating steadfast support regardless of quality of play; it is unsurprising that the men’s basketball team didn’t turn Welsh-Ryan purple when you could count its Big Ten wins on your thumbs. But when the Cats are keeping up with top-ranked opponents in the final minutes and the majority of the arena’s fans pledge allegiance to the visitors, it does not bode well for NU’s upset hopes.

I do not come to you today with condemnations. I come with an offer of redemption. Now, with the glorious arrival of spring, we can all be the fans a major-conference school deserves. And better yet, we can do it cheering for some superb teams.

Lacrosse is once again No. 1 and seems destined to capture its third consecutive national championship. Softball will more than likely be telling the nation to “Start Wearing Purple!” well into the College World Series . Women’s tennis is 10th in the country, men’s golf is in the top 30 and women’s golf features defending Big Ten champion Alice Kim.

What remains, noble reader, is for you, the NU student, to rise up against the bourgeois fans of visiting schools, who try so often to impose their will and irritating cheers on the champions of purple and white. With your support, the cheering sections of Evanston can once again be dominated by the rightful home fans.

Let the Big Ten tremble at a Wildcat revolution. Northwestern students have nothing to lose but their shame. They have championships to win.

WILDCATS OF NORTHWESTERN, UNITE!