News Brief

Three Evanston/Skokie School District 65 schools were ranked on a list of top area schools based on standardized test scores released March 9.

The annual list published by the Chicago Sun-Times recognized Dr. Bessie Rhodes Magnet School, 3701 Davis St. in Skokie; Lincolnwood Elementary School, 2600 Colfax St.; and Dewey Elementary School, 1551 Wesley Ave., for high average test scores in reading and math on the 2006 Illinois Standards Achievement Test, a weeklong assessment taken by third- through-eighth-graders last March.

Bessie Rhodes, which serves kindergarten through eighth grade, ranked 28th on the Sun-Times’ list of suburban middle schools.

Dewey placed 23rd on the Sun-Times’ list of suburban elementary schools, whereas Lincolnwood ranked 47th.

Both Dewey (34th among elementary schools) and Bessie Rhodes (47th among middle schools) also placed on the Sun-Times’ Top 50 in the State lists.

Principal Pat Mitchell said the school caters to the diverse needs of its students.

“We meet the children where they are and try to work with them on that level and bring them up to where they should be,” Mitchell said. “The main goal is to make sure everybody is on or above grade level.”

“Every year our students get progressively better,” Mitchell said. “We consider it a celebration of teachers from kindergarten and up.”

-Diana Xin