Leaving His ‘Legacy’ (Men’s Basketball)

By Ben LarrisonThe Daily Northwestern

On Northwestern basketball advertisements adorning CTA trains this winter, passengers are greeted with the message: “Tim ‘Best Hair in the Big Ten’ Doyle: Hi-Def doesn’t do my hair justice, you gotta see it live.”

When Doyle takes the court Wednesday night against Indiana, it will be the final time that he or his hair appears in a Wildcats uniform. The Merrick, N.Y., native is among four seniors playing in their last home game.

“In three weeks, no one’s going to care that I suited up for Northwestern or that I had 26 against Purdue or 15 against Oden,” Doyle said. “My next step is going to be putting on a suit and tie and going into an office and I’m just going to be a tall guy in an office … (So) I’m going to appreciate this last moment stepping on Welsh-Ryan.”

While his style of play is, even in his own opinion, often more YMCA than NCAA, Doyle is among the Big Ten’s statistical leaders in multiple categories. His 4.9 assists per game are third-best in the conference, while his 1.7 steals per game are good for fourth. And though he has fallen off pace, Doyle still is within reach of the NU single season record for assists, currently 16 shy of Patrick Baldwin’s mark of 154 with at least three games remaining.

Meanwhile, Doyle, who often claims he is “not a shooter,” is second on the Cats averaging 11.5 points. He has credited his improved numbers this season to two factors: Yoga – which Doyle recently began practicing and he claims has helped keep him in shape as the season wears on – and the realization that this is his final year.

“I think it comes from knowing it’s coming to an end,” Doyle said. “I go into every game knowing I’m going to play 39 minutes. And I know this is it. I mean, the next time I’m playing organized basketball I’m going to have a t-shirt (with) a bar name on it. I think I’m just appreciating the moment right now.”

The 6-foot-5 senior with a penchant for spin-moves, no-look passes and layups has attracted the attention of fans, both at home and on the road. In Big Ten opponents’ arenas Doyle often is greeted harshly, which teammates said he actually embraces.

“They get riled up,” freshman Kevin Coble said. “They’re on him pretty good … They have all the chants lined out – the ‘Doyle’ chants, and attacking the hair, and (him) being 40-years-old, so that sort of thing. That’s just something he likes to deal with.”

Doyle, who transferred to NU after spending his freshman year at St. John’s, was praised by teammates and coaches for his improved play in his senior season. NU coach Bill Carmody said Doyle has “stepped up” this year in nearly all areas of his game to help make up for the absence of a veteran scoring threat. And one Cats’ player credited Doyle with being the type of player that “makes everybody look good.”

“I’m not sure there’s a college player like him or there’ll ever be another college player quite like Tim,” Coble said. “So I think he leaves a pretty special legacy behind.”

Reach Ben Larrison at [email protected].