Comedian Cancels Because Of Weather

By Matt SpectorThe Daily Northwestern

Sarah Silverman’s comedy show scheduled for Thursday night was postponed until later this year after inclement weather delayed her flight into Chicago.

An e-mail about the change was sent out by A&O Productions to an e-mail list Thursday afternoon, and an official statement was posted on the HereAndNow Web site.

Messages were also put up on the Web sites of the event’s co-sponsors, A&O and Fiedler Hillel Center.

About 80 students showed up at Pick-Staiger Concert Hall unaware that the event was postponed.

Signs were posted on the venue’s doors notifying attendees that Silverman wouldn’t be performing.

Weinberg seniors Rohan Sharma and Vishnu Potini bought their tickets before the event, but were in the library and hadn’t heard about the changes.

“I just came all the way to the door – we froze on the way here,” Sharma said.

The 989-seat venue had sold out for the event.

Board members from Hillel and A&O said they hoped to reschedule the show for April or early May.

“We strongly urge everyone to hold onto their tickets because we are in the process of rescheduling the event,” said Weinberg senior Rachel Cort, A&O’s chairwoman.

Cort said students affected by the event’s postponement would be accommodated.

People who showed up at Pick-Staiger Thursday night were allowed to “register” their tickets to be honored at a later date.

Students who want a refund instead can go to the Norris University Center Box Office between Wednesday and Friday next week.

In the meantime, arrangements are being made for Silverman to come to campus later this year, said Helen Wood, associate director of the Center for Student Involvement.

“Wintertime is a tough time when you’re pulling people across the country,” Wood said. “It’s unfortunate, but there’s not much we can do about it other than try again.”

McCormick senior Rob Uhlemann, A&O’s director of speakers and special events, said he expected Silverman would come to campus in Spring Quarter.

“I think both parties – hers and A&O – are very dedicated to making sure that this happens in the future,” he said.

Cort promised a busy spring for A&O.

“One less event in the winter means one more event in spring,” she said.

Silverman’s publicist Amy Zvi said she assumed Silverman will want to reschedule the event.

Silverman was excited about her performance and even mentioned it during her interview on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Zvi said.

Graduate student Sam Dorf said he plans to use his ticket when the at-times politically incorrect comedian reschedules her performance.

“I was really looking forward to seeing her live,” Dorf said. “I guess we’ll just have to wait.”

Hillel Rabbi Josh Feigelson said he thought students would be disappointed but that they still would come on the new date.

“Hopefully the students will have something to look forward to in the spring,” he said.

Reach Matt Spector at [email protected].